Fisher Explorer Grants
Thanks to the generosity of Herbert, Sandra (1956) and Gail Fisher (1988), Brandeis seniors engaged in creative projects during the academic year (fall and spring semesters) can apply for funding from the Fisher Explorer Grants.
The application is currently closed and will re-open in December 2022.
- Fall 2022 Application Deadline: Sunday, October 2
- Spring 2023 Application Deadline: Sunday, February 5
- $750 maximum with the amount awarded based on expenses.
If the student's project receives funding from another grant, the student should request funding to reimburse only those expenses which cannot be covered by the other funding source. For reimbursement, students must provide a receipt.
- Brandeis currently enrolled Senior: The Fisher Explorer Grants will be awarded to outstanding seniors pursuing projects in one or more of the three departments in the Creative Arts: Fine Arts, Music, and Theater Arts. Students majoring in Fine Arts, Music, or Theater Arts will have funding priority, but Seniors with other majors who are conducting creative arts projects are eligible to apply.
- Quality and feasibility of the project, assessed by evaluating the applicants's project summary and budget justification.
- Faculty approval.
Examples of Eligible Expenses
- SuppliesTravel (Students cannot be reimbursed for travel until after the trip is complete.)
- Research materials
- Honorarium for an outside artist to support project (Artist cannot be a current Brandeis student.)
Examples of Non-Eligible Expenses
- Ordinary school supplies, such as a pen to take class notes. Students who need support for ordinary school supplies can reach out to the Student Support Services team.
- Hourly wage to an individual
- Honorarium payment to a current Brandeis student
- Honorarium payment to the grant recipient (yourself)
Application checklist (a complete application contains the following)
- Student Information entered on the application form
- 250-500 word funding justification summary: Summarize your research or creative project and explain at a high level how the requested funds will be used.
- One paragraph (75 to 200 words) description of your prior artistic or scholarly experiences, activities, and courses that have prepared you to do the proposed project.
- Itemized budget request in a spreadsheet. Document will be uploaded to the application form. Please list items (such as paint, lumber, props), and total cost. For Honorariums, please provide the name of the guest artist and/or the role they will have. If you don’t know the individual’s name at time of application, you can state the role and provide the name once they are secured. Honorariums cannot be given to Brandeis students.
- Faculty mentor must approve the proposal
Questions about this opportunity? Email Christine Kahn, Administrator for the Division of Creative Arts.