Admissions Deadlines

Apply Now

Request Info

The deadline for completed Ph.D. applications is Dec. 15.

We consider applications to our joint M.A. program in Sociology and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies through February 1.

The deadline for current Heller students to apply for admission to the  Joint Ph.D. in Social Policy and Sociology is April 1.

Admissions Information

Applicants for any of the three graduate degree programs are required to upload:

  • A completed application form
  • Statement of purpose
  • Two or three recommendation letters
  • Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
  • Resume or CV
  • GRE scores
  • TOEFL score (if applicable)
  • A sample of your written work
  • Application fee
  • Applicants to the joint PhD program in Social Policy and Sociology also need to submit a reference letter from the program director of the program in which they are currently enrolled. This is in addition to the two or three letters of reference.

The online application and additional application details are available on the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences website

The deadline for completed Ph.D. applications is Dec. 15.

To receive information updates from GSAS, submit your information online.

Financial Assistance

All sociology students accepted into the Ph.D. program receive full tuition and some students receive fellowship support. The fellowship may be renewed for up to five years conditional on satisfactory performance. While on fellowship funding, Ph.D. students are required to act as teaching or research fellows as part of their fellowship support. Ph.D. students also receive tuition remission through the university through their fifth year. Some teaching jobs beyond the fifth year may be available at Brandeis and other local colleges.

Students admitted into the joint Sociology & Women's, Gender, and Sexuality studies Master's degree program may apply to GSAS for partial (up to 50 percent) tuition remission, and may be eligible for a grant from the Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program.

Transfer Credit

Advanced students in the Ph.D. program may transfer some course credit for relevant work done elsewhere. This can be used to satisfy department and university residence requirements. Students apply for transfer credit after completing a year in the program.