Name of bank/firm where you interned this summer:
- Credit Suisse: Real Estate Finance and Securitization Group
- Summer Analyst
How did you get the interview that landed you the internship?
- High School (The Dalton School) Alumni Internship/Career network
Exactly what did you do to obtain you summer internship interview and prepare for your interview?
- I emailed the contact he told me to come in, interviewed me with a group of analysts, and then recommended me to the program. I was given another round of interviews, followed by one more round. I prepared by researching the real estate markets in the WSJ and NY Times, also I looked for news on Credit Suisse and learned about how the CMBS (commercial mortgage backed securities) market worked. I also read the Vault guide to finance interviews, top 50 investment banks, and the Vault Credit Suisse Guide. All my questions were fit based, nothing technical, though I did get a couple real estate related brain teasers.
Where do I start?
- Make sure this is the right field for you. Complete self-assessment with Hiatt.
- The Vault (log in through NACELink): download PDF guides or read up on industries, occupations, companies
- Identify your interests with faculty
- Read trade journals and publications
- Apply to Shadowing Experience to network with alumni
- Network over breaks
- Keep an eye on the programming calendar
- Continue on-going research
- Attend info sessions
- Read trade journals
- Talk to UDRs and other students with experience
Resume and Interview Preparation:
Where do I look?
- View our Internships Presentation
- Investment banking internships: Submit resume to resume books by Thanksgiving
- Other internships - look through resources on the Internships pages
- Your network
- Investment banking positions: Submit resume in resume books by August 1
- Other full time positions: Utilize Hiatt's Library resources
- Your network
Thinking outside the box:
- Companies may code their job posting in a way you wouldn’t expect
- Make sure your job search criteria are wide
- For example: doing marketing for a large bank, or an analyst position for a hospitality chain
Connecting back to Brandeis:
- Join clubs to beef up your resume and learn more about the industry
- Utilize on-campus info sessions, interviews, fairs
- Attend finance alumni panels
- Connect internship with transcript: BUS 89: Work in the Global Business Environment or Transcript Notation