H-1B Application Process
H-1B Application: Required Forms and Documents
Once you have reviewed the H-1B application process and timeline, see below for all forms and documents required from both the hiring department and employee.
Required From the Department
- Copy of letter of appointment and ISSO Notification of Appointment of Foreign National/Request for Visa Documents Form or Postdoctoral Scholar New Appointment Form
- Position Description (see fillable sample - MSWord)
- Specialty Occupation Statement (see fillable sample - MSWord)
- Actual Wage Form (see fillable sample - MSWord)
- H-1B Anti-Fraud Fee: $500 (required from the employer, check made payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security") -- Fee not required for H-1B visa extensions.
- Filing fee: $325 (increase effective November 23, 2010) -- check made payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."
Required From the Prospective/Continuing Employee
- One copy of your highest degree diploma, or letter from your university Registrar proving that you have the required degree. If your degree is not written in English, it must be accompanied by an original translation, signed by a qualified translator. This also applies to degrees written in Latin. If you earned your degree at an institution outside of the U.S., you must also have your degree certified by a credential evaluation service.
- I-129 Worksheet (see fillable sample - MSWord)
- One copy of most recent Curriculum Vitae or resume. Remember, don't be modest! Be sure to include your current position.
- Copy of Form I-94 card (small, white card, usually stapled into your passport) -- a very clear, dark photocopy, front AND back, clearly showing the date and port of entry
- Photocopy of Passport identity (name, photo, date of birth) and validity (issue and current expiration dates) pages
- Photocopy of current U.S. Entry Visa Stamp (in passport)
- If you are extending your H-1B status, or if you are transferring to Brandeis from a previous employer in H-1B status, you must also provide the following:
- Letter from your employer previous to Brandeis confirming the scheduled ending date of your employment with that employer
- Copies of paystubs/payment records for at least the past 4 months of employment
- If you have family members who will extend their stay/change their immigration status along with you, be advised that a separate Form I-539 is required, with separate fee, to apply for change of status for family members. Please submit very clear, dark photocopies of I-94 cards (front and back), and photocopy of passport and entry visa stamps of each family member included in the application
- If you are in..
- H-1B Status: Form I-797, Notice of Approval (one copy, front only)
- J-1 Status: All previous Forms DS-2019 (one copy each, front and back)
- F-1 Status: All Forms I-20 (one copy each, pages 1 and 3)
- F-1 Practical Training: All Forms I-20 (one copy each, front and back) and clear photocopy of Employment Authorization Document (EAD card)
- Filing fees for dependent spouse or children: who will file for an extension or change of their immigration status, there will be an additional filing fee of $290 with Form I-539. Checks should be made payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security". [NOTE: Separate checks required for employee H-1B petition fee ($325) and dependents application I-539 ($290)]
If the H-1B status must be approved in 3 months or less, or urgent travel is required for the H-1B visa holder, it is advised that hiring departments will be required to pay the "Premium Processing Fee" in order to expedite the H-1B petition processing with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Please feel free to contact David Elwell, ISSO Director, with any questions about the timing of the H-1B petition.
The Premium Processing Fee is $1,225.00.
Information for the Departments
Departments may request through Accounts Payable a check for the Premium Processing Fee. The check request for $1,225.00 should be made payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security", with an address of:
Premium Processing Service
USCIS – California Service Center
ATTN: CAP EXEMPT H-1B Processing Unit
24000 Avila Road, 2nd Floor, Room 2312
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677