J-1 Visa

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa for Non-Degree Personnel

The primary purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor visa is to foster the exchange of ideas between Americans and foreign nationals and to stimulate international collaborative teaching and research efforts. The J-1 visa is the easiest and quickest visa to get, but it has certain limitations which must be considered when bringing foreign faculty members and researchers to the University. For example, the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa status is reserved for lecturers, visiting faculty, and researchers typically coming to the U.S. from abroad for appointments of five years or less and who have not been in this status within the previous 24 months (see 24-Month Bar). The J-1 Visa may not be used for tenure-track positions or positions designated as staff positions at Brandeis University.

Please note that if a foreign national is already in the U.S. in J-1 status in Professor or Research Scholar categories, the time spent at another institution must be deducted from the five-year maximum available and the work to be done at Brandeis must be in keeping with the original activities they entered the U.S. to perform at the other institution.

In addition, foreign nationals already in the U.S. in J-1 Exchange Visitor status but in another category, such as J-1 Student, are not normally eligible to change to a different category (such as Professor or Research Scholar category) within the U.S. – they would be required to leave the U.S. to process this change of category.

Additional information on the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa is available on the U.S. Department of State web site.

J-1 visas for non-degree personnel at Brandeis University are processed by the International Students and Scholars Office. If you have any questions about J visa sponsorship, please contact Jodi Hanelt, Director of the International Students and Scholars Office, by phone (781-736-3480), by fax (781-736-3484), or via email (hanelt@brandeis.edu).