Elaine Wong Distinguished Lecture Program
Elaine Wong worked at Brandeis for nearly 40 years before retiring in 2021. Over the decades, she was central to the creation and launch of many major programs and initiatives, including the Brandeis Pluralism Alliance, Generation One Network, Justice Brandeis Seminar, the Brandeis Core and the Community Engaged Scholars Program. She contributed to numerous diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives throughout her career.
The Elaine Wong Distinguished Lecture program celebrates Elaine's enduring impact on Brandeis. The annual event explores racial, class, gender, sexual and other forms of injustice and inequality; showcases historically marginalized people and perspectives; and/or promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
Call for Proposals
We invite you to submit a proposal for the second Elaine Wong Distinguished Lecture or Program to be held in the 2023-24 academic year. The proposed event must be open to the full University community and appeal to a general audience. Some portion of the proposed activity must address issues of diversity, equity, inclusion, or multiculturalism in general or in the context of a given discipline or group of disciplines. The event may be hosted by multiple faculty/departments.
Proposed events may include speakers from outside of Brandeis. We encourage you to include speakers who belong to a group that is traditionally underrepresented in the relevant discipline. Requests to offer an honorarium that exceeds the A&S general guidelines of $250 will be considered.
Please submit your proposals by Thursday, Sept. 14, 2023 to Olga Papaemmanouil. Proposals should not exceed two pages in length and must include the following:
- Host name(s) and affiliated department(s)
- Short description of the event
- Target date for proposed event
- Name, affiliation, and area of any invited speaker(s) along with a short description of speaker's accomplishments. Please include a CV and/or link to the speaker’s website when available.
- Short description of the diversity, equity, inclusion/multicultural dimension of the event
- Estimated budget, including the amount requested from A&S and expected contributions from other funding sources, if applicable. You may request up to $4000 from A&S.
Please contact Olga Papaemmanouil for any additional information and questions.