Study Abroad

  • Frances Chang with cherry blossoms

    Frances Chang in Kyoto, Japan

  • Many Comparative Literature majors study abroad to gain important cross-cultural perspectives, conduct research, work on language skills, or experience the places written about in their favorite literature. This page contains information that will assist COML majors determine how best to integrate study abroad into their Brandeis careers.

    Generally, students who study abroad for one semester have no difficulty completing the COML major. Those who choose to study abroad for an entire year may need to work with their advisor or the Study Abroad Liaison to develop a plan that will allow them to finish the major on time, but this is very possible.

    Sample of Approved Programs with Comparative Literature Coursework

    Visit the Brandeis Approved Programs List to review a comprehensive list of programs that offer COML coursework. Click on "Advanced Search" to filter options or search for unique program traits like internships or research. Additional programs might have acceptable coursework, but this list shows the primary locations where Comparative Literature courses may be available.

    Study Abroad Liaison

    To assist students with their academic choices abroad and to help answer any questions about receiving major/ minor credit while abroad, each academic department and program has assigned a faculty member to serve as the Study Abroad Liaison. Comparative Literature majors who plan to study abroad should speak with the study abroad liaison before they go abroad, and again once they have returned from study abroad.

    The liaison for COML is Prof. Pu Wang.

    Receiving Credit in Comparative Literature

    Before going abroad, you can find out whether a specific course will or will not count as a COML elective by speaking with the Study Abroad Liaison in COML. In order to formally request COML credit for the course, you must contact your Study Abroad Liaison upon your return to Brandeis and after you have received a grade for the course. The final step would be to fill out a "Petition to Request a Substitution for a Requirement."