Supporting Our Community

Nov. 11, 2016

Dear Colleagues,

Listening to students last night at a packed gathering moderated by Professor Anita Hill, I was struck during a discussion of where our students turn to for help, support and strength, that there was little mention of the faculty. Perhaps this is not so surprising because at a time of uncertainly or in the face of fear we all understandably turn first to those closest to us – family and friends. But I also know that our students do look to their faculty as a source of inspiration and example.

As members of our community share their feelings and experiences of being targeted, verbally or in actions, for who they are, I think this is a moment when we as faculty can play a significant role in reassuring our students and each other that regardless of one’s race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, birthplace, immigration status, socioeconomic background, able-ness, or political affiliation that Brandeis is a place where everyone can develop intellectually and personally in a safe and inclusive environment.

I urge you, as appropriate, to take time in your courses to engage your students in the challenges facing our society at this particular moment in time. Below I have listed resources for our students that I thought you might find helpful. But there are many other ways that you might be able to support our students and each other outside of the classroom. Examples range from organizing a panel discussion or teach-in, to inviting a student or colleague for a cup of coffee or tea or to your home to share with your family and friends your religious, cultural or holiday traditions. Persistent acts of reaching out can be a powerful counterweight to those who would want to divide us.

As you engage with your students and colleagues, you may find yourself in a difficult and even explosive discussion. How you are able to engage in mutual respectful dialogue and use language that is responsible and sensitive to the opinions of others and free of rancor will help support our campus to come together. I know that this is not easy but as educators we have a collective responsibility, now more than ever, to double down on our commitment to make Brandeis an inclusive and diverse community.

Best,

Lisa

Lisa M. Lynch, Provost

781-736-3677
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Walk in hours: Monday-Friday: 9:30-11:30 a.m. & 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
After-hours Urgent Calls: 781-239-1948

781-736-3730
Monday through Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Walk in hours: 11:00 a.m. & 3:00 p.m.
After-hours Urgent Calls:781-736-3785

Crisis Text Line

Text START to 781-741-741 or call 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones.

Offers useful information about a broad range of mental health issues for college students. It also offers a self-assessment tool.

Student Support Groups
  • Bounce Back
    Tuesdays at 1:00 p.m.
    Natalie Russ

Bounce Back is a 3-week workshop that focuses on resilience and creating a life plan.

• Drop-In Guided Meditation
    Wednesdays at 12:00 p.m.
    Dr. Brown

A 50-minute, weekly guided meditation session for anyone interested in learning more about meditation or continuing one’s own practice

• Grief and Bereavement Support
    Tuesdays at 5:00 p.m.
    Dr. Jessica Pierre

The group is intended to help break the isolation of grief and provide meaningful tools for coping

• Manage Stress Effectively
    Mondays at 4:00 p.m.
    Dr. Nir

Come to understand how to use Cognitive Behavioral skills to better manage your stress

781-736-3470
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Drop-in hours: Monday - Friday 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Providing academic advising, tutoring, and support managing academics.

Tel: 781-736-3480
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Providing a variety of resources related to immigration and adjustment to life in the United States and at Brandeis

The Brandeis Rape Crisis Center

Usdan G-108, open from Monday through Friday 12:00 pm – 5:00 p.m.
For emergency after-hours assistance, please call our hotline at 781-736-3370.

The RCC is a confidential space that is open for any students who are feeling overwhelmed and would like a quiet space in which to rest and relax

781-736-8580
Swing Center, next to East Residence Hall
Monday and Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday through Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

The Brandeis Intercultural Center is dedicated to creating a haven of respect, education and celebration that aims to foster growth and awareness of the myriad cultures of Brandeis University. The Center fosters a welcoming community, where diverse experiences and perspectives are valued and dedication to the understanding of cultures and ethnicities is essential.

781-736-3570
Usdan Student Center

Brandeis encourages and supports all expressions of spiritual and religious life on campus.

Usdan Student Center
781-736-8583

Provides resources, positive visibility, an affirming space and advocacy for lesbian, gay, same gender loving, bisexual, transgender, gender nonconforming, queer, questioning, intersex and asexual students, staff and faculty at Brandeis University.

781-736-3600
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.