Each psychology major is assigned a faculty advisor from whom general advice about courses or career plans can be obtained. The undergraduate advising head is also available for consultation even before students declare psychology as a major.

Undergraduate Program

studentsThe Department of Psychology offers students the opportunity to establish a strong scientific and research foundation in psychology, which prepares them to be thoughtful and discerning problem solvers. The program examines the most up-to-date and comprehensive psychological research and theory and provides opportunities for direct involvement in its application to clinical, mental-health, business, educational, and other settings.

Our faculty conducts research in diverse areas including cognitive science, normal and abnormal development, health, culture, social interaction, spatial orientation, neurological bases of sensation, perception, memory, emotion, life-span development and aging, and effects of brain damage.

Psychology majors study varied aspects of both basic and applied areas of the field. The focus of the department is on basic scientific research, in which there is a high level of undergraduate involvement. Students have many exciting opportunities for working in faculty labs and for doing internships off campus.

A number of students write honors theses each year, while many more conduct independent studies, research, or reading projects, some of which are funded by undergraduate research program grants. The popular clinical psychology practicum enables students to spend at least one day per week working in a mental-health facility.

Research Experience

Many graduate schools in psychology give preference to applicants who have had research experience. The psychology department at Brandeis offers a wide range of opportunities to participate in research. Students can obtain research experience in three ways: (1) volunteer to work informally in a laboratory or professional setting; (2) register for research with a specific professor as a formal course; or (3) complete an independent research project or honors thesis.