Application Process and Deadlines
The JBS admissions committee strives to accept students who will be the best-possible match for the program. Students must be in good academic standing and meet the necessary prerequisites outlined by the specific JBS program. Many of the JBS programs do not have any prerequisites.
Students will be evaluated on the quality of their application and should demonstrate their motivation and commitment. All students who meet the program criteria are encouraged to apply!
If you have any questions about the application at any point, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Study Abroad.
Summer 2015 Application Deadline: March 16, 2015
- Applications must be submitted on-line by NOON on the stated deadline.
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling admissions basis until the closing deadline.
- Students are encouraged to apply well before the admissions deadline. Qualified applicants will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis so applying early is to everyone's advantage. Provided spaces are still available, applications will be reviewed up until the deadline. The JBS website will contain information in the event that a particular JBS program reaches student capacity before the admissions deadline.
- Completed Application Questionnaire (submitted online)
- JBS Personal Statement (submitted online; see details below)
- Supplemental program-specific essay questions (if applicable) submitted online
Once you have completed step one, you will receive an email with instructions on completing step two.
- JBS Student Financial Services Signature (when applicable) - Access the form here.
- Recommendation from a faculty or staff member (see details below)
- Transcript submission* (non-Brandeis students only) - Students enrolled at universities other than Brandeis will submit the same materials listed above and will need to have an official transcript mailed to: Brandeis University, Summer School - MS 085, 415 South Street, Waltham, MA 02453.
Both steps must be finished in order for an application to considered complete and eligible for review. Applications should be complete by the deadline.
JBS Personal Statement
JBS Personal Statement In an application essay of no more than 500 words, address the following questions. Please be specific in your response. If you are applying to two programs, be sure your statement includes answers to all of the following questions for both your primary program and your alternate program.
- Why would you like to participate in the JBS program to which you are applying?
- What do you hope to gain as a JBS participant?
- How do your goals for the JBS program relate to your overall academic plan at Brandeis?
- What do you think you will contribute to the JBS learning community?
Please have a faculty or staff member submit a recommendation in support of your candidacy. You can request ask them to fill out an online recommendation form at: https://summerforms.wufoo.com/
If you have previously requested a letter of recommendation, your recommender can upload a copy of that letter into our online recommendation form. Alternatively, you may have them submit it to the Summer School office via Campus Mail to MS 085 or through an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Writing a Letter of Recommendation
The following information can be shared with your reference writer.
The Justice Brandeis Semester (JBS) is an engaging, immersive academic experience in which small groups of students explore a thematic topic through inquiry-based courses linked to real-world experiential opportunities. To succeed, the applicant must have a high degree of academic and personal motivation.
In your recommendation, please describe the applicant's academic and personal achievements. The JBS admissions committee is particularly interested in your knowledge of the applicant's academic performance, intellectual abilities, level of motivation, creativity, ability to work in groups, and potential for academic growth. Are there any particular strengths or areas in need of further development that we should be aware of?
Any additional information which could afford us with a better understanding of the applicant's capacity for the JBS program is greatly appreciated. Your candid appraisal enables us to determine whether the applicant is appropriate for the JBS Program and to help him or her obtain the most from the experience.
You may fill out an online recommendation form found at: https://summerforms.wufoo.com/
Application Decision Notification
The application will be read by the JBS admissions committee within a few weeks of receipt of the complete application. The student will receive an admissions decision soon after the application is reviewed.