Get Support Related to Dating or Domestic Violence

If you have experienced dating or domestic violence, here are some options for what you can do next.

If you are ready to leave the relationship:
  • Do you feel safe where you live? If not, you have options. If you live on campus, DCL can reassign you to a new room or building. PARC can help you arrange this or you can contact DCL directly. You may also have a friend or family member who can stay with– that’s great! Keep in mind that if your perpetrator knows where your friends and family live you may still want to be extra careful while staying with them.

  • Does your perpetrator also attend Brandeis? If so, you may consider options like a No Contact Order or filing a Report with the Office of Title IX to keep them away from you. If your perpetrator does not attend Brandeis but shows up on campus, a "No Trespassing" order against them could be an option through Public Safety.

  • Consider finding ongoing support from an Advocate and/or a Counselor. Abusive partners can cause hurt even after the relationship is over. It is important to know that you are worthy of being treated with love; an advocate or a counselor could help you find comfort or healing after abuse.

If you aren’t ready to leave the relationship:
  • We understand that there are a lot of reasons why you may not be able to leave your relationship. However, your safety is the top priority for us. We encourage you to speak with us or another confidential resource to create a safety plan. If coming in to PARC is not an option for you, we hope some information in our Resource Library could help you be safe.

If you are interested in reporting:
  • You can file a Sexual Misconduct Report with Brandeis University's Office of Title IX (dating and domestic violence are considered forms of sexual misconduct under the University's policy). If you do not want your identity attached to your report, you can report anonymously through the Anonymous Sexual Misconduct Reporting Form.

  • You can also file a report with Public Safety or with the police department of the local jurisdiction in which the violence occurred. There may be multiple jurisdictions in which the violence occurred; Waltham Police might be a good place to start, or the police where you live if you don't live near campus. Try to file your report in the jurisdiction where most of the violence has occurred, or the jurisdiction where the worst of the violence occurred. This can be in addition to filing a report with Brandeis or instead of filing a report with Brandeis. 

  • You can also decide not to file this report (now or ever). No one should make you file a report if you don't want to. 

If you are interested in accommodations to keep you safer:

Whether you choose to report or not, you can request accommodations (also known as "interim measures" with the Office of Title IX) to help you stay safe and successful on campus either during an investigation or just in moving forward. You can ask for help with these from your Advocate in PARC, the Case Manager in Title IX, or directly with the contact office listed. Examples of things you might find helpful:

  • Temporary or permanent Brandeis housing assignment change.

  • Alteration of, or removal of, university directory information.

  • University No Contact Orders or court-issued restraining orders (to ensure that shared classes or other shared experiences are avoided).

  • Assistance with explanation of and transportation to local law enforcement for reporting purposes (for example, filing a report with Waltham Police or the Waltham District Court).

  • Guidance from Academic Services at 781-736-3470, which can help you communicate with faculty and to keep up your academic obligations through tutoring and other academic resources, planning meetings, and academic advising.

  • For graduate students, additional support for navigating coursework and other responsibilities is available from Graduate Student Affairs at 781-736-3547.

  • Assistance with referrals to on-campus or off-campus physical or psychological health resources.

  • Assistance with transportation to, and explanation of, municipal report filing (for example, Waltham Police or Waltham District Court/assistant district attorney’s office).

  • Assistance with immigration and visa issues.