Get Support Related to Stalking

Coming in to PARC to speak to a peer advocate or a professional advocate is confidential and a great place to start. Your advocate can help you learn about these other options and will guide you as you decide what to do (or not do) next. At PARC you will never be pressured to do anything you don't want to do, and everything you share with us will stay confidential.

Our only exceptions to confidentiality: If you tell us you are going to hurt yourself or someone else, or you tell us about ongoing child or elder abuse.

Here are some other ideas and information in case you don't want to talk to an advocate right now.

Suggestions for what to do if you are being stalked:
  • Trust yourself. If someone is making you feel uncomfortable and/or unsafe, your feeling is valid. Many examples of stalking that we see in movies and television make it seem funny or not serious, but being stalked can be very scary. If someone is constantly showing up, following you, sending you unsolicited gifts or messages, and is causing you to feel scared or worried, this can be considered stalking. 

  • Keep a log. Even if you don't plan to report your stalker, keeping a log of the stalker's activity can be helpful. Saving messages, taking notes of when and where you saw the stalker, and photographing gifts from them are good examples of what to document. For a helpful template please visit our Resource Library online or in the office. 

  • Consider altering your routine. Taking a different route to class or an earlier bus than you regular do might help you avoid your stalker. Walking with a friend could help you feel safer. You can also come in to PARC for help developing a Safety Plan with ideas like these and other changes you might want to take. 

  • If you feel unsafe, consider contacting Public Safety at 781-736-3333 to get emergency assistance.

If you are interested in reporting:
  • You can file a Sexual Misconduct Report with Brandeis University's Office of Title IX (stalking is considered a form of sexual misconduct under the University's policy). If you do not want your identity attached to your report, you can report anonymously through the Anonymous Sexual Misconduct Reporting Form.

  • You can also file a report with Public Safety or with the police department of the local jurisdiction in which the stalking occurred. There may be multiple jurisdictions in which the stalking occurred; Waltham Police might be a good place to start, or the police where you live if you don't live near campus. Try to file your report in the jurisdiction where most of the stalking has occurred. This can be in addition to filing a report with Brandeis or instead of filing a report with Brandeis. 

  • You can also decide not to file this report (now or ever). No one should make you file a report if you don't want to. 

If you are interested in accommodations to keep you safer:

Whether you choose to report or not, you can request accommodations (also known as "interim measures" with the Office of Title IX) to help you stay safe and successful on campus either during an investigation or just in moving forward. You can ask for help with these from your Advocate in PARC, the Case Manager in Title IX, or directly with the contact office listed. Examples of things you might find helpful:

  • Temporary or permanent Brandeis housing assignment change.

  • Alteration of, or removal of university directory information.

  • University No Contact Orders or court-issued restraining orders (to ensure that shared classes or other shared experiences are avoided).

  • Assistance with explanation of and transportation to local law enforcement for reporting purposes (for example, filing a report with Waltham Police or the Waltham District Court).

  • Guidance from Academic Services at 781-736-3470, which can help you communicate with faculty and to keep up your academic obligations through tutoring and other academic resources, planning meetings, and academic advising.

  • For graduate students, additional support for navigating coursework and other responsibilities is available from Graduate Student Affairs at 781-736-3547.

  • Assistance with referrals to on-campus or off-campus physical or psychological health resources.

  • Assistance with transportation to, and explanation of, municipal report filing (for example, Waltham Police or Waltham District Court/assistant district attorney's office).

  • Assistance with immigration and visa issues.