Office of the Provost

Dean of Arts and Sciences Transition

April 13, 2022

Dear Brandeis Community,

Dorothy Hodgson, who as dean of the School of Arts and Sciences oversees the academic life of all our undergraduate students and the faculty who teach them, as well as the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, let me know in January that she will not renew her appointment as dean after her fifth year, and will step down in June 2023.

Dean Hodgson has been a wonderful colleague and leader. An award-winning scholar, teacher, and mentor, Dorothy has been dedicated to Brandeis’ vision of an inclusive undergraduate liberal arts education – one that integrates the creative arts, humanities, social sciences, and sciences to provide students with the knowledge, passion, creativity, compassion, and resilience to succeed and to use their gifts to improve the world.

During her four years at Brandeis, she has led the design and launch of many new initiatives, including the Office for Undergraduate Research and Creative Collaboration, a major in Engineering Science, and a suite of meaningful anti-racism plans by the School of Arts and Sciences and its departments and programs. Dorothy succeeded in meeting the Ford Hall 2015 commitment to double the number of faculty of color at Brandeis.

Dorothy was also instrumental in the creation of the Program in Asian American and Pacific Islander Studies; the implementation of the Brandeis Core; the transition of Women’s Gender and Sexuality Studies from a program to a department; and the creation of the Community Engaged Scholars Program (CESP) to be launched in fall 2022, in collaboration with the Vic and Bobbi Samuels ’63 Center for Community Partnerships and Civic Transformation, funded by a $10 million gift.

In the coming year, Dean Hodgson will work with her team to ensure a smooth transition for the next Dean of the School of Arts & Sciences. Information about the start of a national search for the next permanent dean for A&S will be forthcoming.

I know that the Brandeis community joins me in thanking Dorothy for her outstanding leadership, particularly as COVID-19 rapidly changed the way our students learn and our faculty teach. I am glad that she will continue her excellent work with us through the coming academic year, followed by a sabbatical leave in AY23-24. I wish her the very best as she plans her next chapter.

Sincerely,

Carol A. Fierke
Provost, Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs