Orientation 2012 Greening Steps
In partnership with Orientation The Campus Sustainability Initiative worked to Green Orientation, including efforts such as:
- Campus Sustainability Tour lead by OLs
- A brand new Campus Sustainability Map of Brandeis
- Zero waste first year BBQ and the first Certified Green Event!
- Distributing sustainability Welcome Kits in dorm rooms- you should receive an energy efficient LED light bulb, recycling bag, reusable cup, and coupon to the Move In Market!
- Holding a Sustainability Teach-in with Laura Goldin entitled: "Greening Campus and Community: How You, Too, Can Change the World through Environmental and Social Justice Learning, Engagement and Activism"
- Organizing the Move-in-Market Thursday, August 29 4:00pm - 6:00pm on Chapels Field.
New Student Sustainability Tips
There are a lot of ways you can make sustainable choices before you even arrive on campus. Once you are here, there are many opportunities to be involved! Brandeis students have been leaders in creating a more sustainable campus.
Top Sustainability Tips for New Students
Not sure you need something? Hold off on a purchase until moving in. Coordinate with your roommates on big items. You will be glad that you don't have to move, ship or store unnecessary stuff during at the end of the year. We hold a Move In Market on the first day of classes to sell lightly used items. For the spring there is also a Room of Requirement in East to trade lightly used items.
Pack Green List
- Reusable shopping bags, beverage containers and mugs are all great to have. A cup will be provided to new students when they arrive.
- Reusable plates, a sponge and soap for cleaning.
- Power strips to help turn off chargers, etc.
- Compact Florescent (CFLs) or LED light bulbs. Each student gets 1 LED light bulb for free!
- Energy Star appliances. We have a discount coupon!
- Bicycle. A workout and transportation in one. You can also rent a DeisBike
- A trash can! You will want to keep recycling and trash separate.
- A drying rack for clothes.
- Reusable bag for shopping trips.
Buy Energy Star
Most of the electronics used in a dorm room are available in an energy efficient, Energy Star labeled model,
which certifies that the energy was sourced in a sustainable manner. In order to make Energy Star an even better deal, we partnered with a local store--Best Buy in Framingham will offer you 10% off Energy Star appliances! Download the coupon.
iPod and cell phone chargers are draw electricity when plugged in, even if not in use. Much energy is lost as "vampire energy," but a power strip is an easy way to shut off electronics and conserve energy!!!
Use your individual Recycling Bags to properly recycle paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, glass and aluminum. Check out recycling at Brandeis for more information. Recycle your cardboard boxes during move-in! Just flatten them and place them beside the blue recycling bins.
Sleep is Good
Make energy efficiency a habit by turning off lights and appliances when you aren’t using them or enabling the power saving settings on your computer before you come to campus.
Your Eco-Rep is a student leader in your quad who can help get you connected to a Certified Green Room, fun events, environmental classes and more!
We have a campus sustainability map via google or PDF packed with information!
Any questions? Contact email@example.com