There are two ways to earn a master of science degree in the physics department. The requirements for this degree are described in detail in the University Bulletin.Brandeis also offers a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Secondary Education in several areas, including physics.
One-year Master's Program
(can be longer if part-time)
Residence Requirement: For those accepted for full-time study, there is a one-year residency requirement. No transfer residence credit will be allowed toward the fulfillment of the master's requirements. Part-time students have no residency requirement.
Course Requirements: Eight semester courses in physics numbered above 160. A master's thesis on an approved topic may be accepted in place of a semester course. The master's thesis must be deposited electronically to the Robert D. Farber University Archives at Brandeis.
Language Requirement: There is no foreign-language requirement for advanced degrees in physics.
Qualifying Examination: Satisfactory performance in the qualifying examination is required. The qualifying examination consists of a written and an oral part; both parts are administered during the first year of the program. The written part of the qualifying examination is the final examinations in PHYS 161a, 161b, 162a and 162b, and 163a, unless these courses have been exempted by separate examination or credit has been given for equivalent courses taken elsewhere. There are two oral exams on general physics, the first at college physics level and the second at the first-year graduate level.
Terminal Master's Degree
A student who withdraws from the Ph.D. program can earn an M.S. degree if he or she has satisfied all the requirements set out in One-year Master's Program (above).
Students offered admission to the M.S. program are eligible to apply for a need-based 25 percent tuition scholarship. Students will be expected to pay the remaining 75 percent of the tuition charges. There are no fellowships for students in the M.S. program.