How to Apply
The application deadline is December 1
Applicants should have a strong science background, typically including experience with hands-on empirical research and statistical analysis. Students are admitted on a competitive basis, which includes evaluation of previous academic records, research experience and match with perspective advisors, recommendations, and results of the Graduate Record Examination.
The general requirements for admission to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences apply to candidates for admission to the Psychology PhD program.
The Department of Psychology requires all application materials to be submitted by December 1 including letters of recommendation, test scores, and transcripts in order for your application to be given consideration. Please plan to submit your application far enough in advance to ensure that all your supporting materials will be attached to your application prior to the deadline.
To apply for the program, you need to submit:
- An online application
- An application fee of $75. See link for fee waiver eligibility information.
- Transcripts from all universities and colleges attended must be uploaded to your application; do not mail official transcripts to our office. For more information, visit Frequently Asked Questions
- Three letters of recommendation: The online application form will prompt the candidate to submit the names and contact information for recommenders, who will be sent a link to upload their letters of recommendation
- A curriculum vitae (CV)
- A statement of purpose (~3 pages): Please describe your qualifications for the psychology program and your objectives in undertaking this program. Applicants should outline their research interests and experience, and how they would complement those of the faculty. Statements should identify potential advisors.
- Standardized tests: Graduate Record Exam (GRE) general test is optional for 2021-2022 applicants. If you choose to submit GRE scores, our GRE institution code is 3092.
- International applicants: A minimum online TOEFL score of 100 is required. Our TOEFL institution code is 3261. For alternative test version minimum scores see International applicants link above.