Brandeis Greenhouse Gas Inventory
Brandeis University measures the following emissions as part of its greenhouse gas inventory:
- Stationary combustion: use of natural gas and oil in onsite equipment such as the central heating plant, residential heating, boilers, water heaters, etc.
- Direct transportation: Fuel used by university-owned vehicles.
- Refrigerants: Refrigerants used in the operation of on-campus refrigeration equipment.
- Purchased electricity.
- Faculty, staff and student commuting.
- University-funded air travel booked via the university’s travel agency (to the extent that data is available).
- Electricity transmission and distribution losses.
- Food purchases.
- Anything else under Brandeis' operational control that is not included in scopes 1 and 2.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions as Proportion of TotalScope 1 and 2
|Source of emissions||Percentage of Total|
|Natural gas & oil||60%|
Scope 1 and 2
(FY 2015-FY 2021)
|Year||Emissions (in metric tonnes)||Change over prior year||Goals/ change over baseline|
|FY 2015||28,363||Baseline figure|
|FY 2018||24,454||-4.0%||FY 18 goal: -10%; actual: -13.8%|
|FY 2020||23,976||-7.4%||FY 20 goal: -15%; actual: -15.5%|
|FY 2021||23,117||-3.6%||Most recent FY: -18.5%|
Interactive Carbon Footprint Dashboard
View our interactive dashboard to or view the accessible version.