Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship
Funded by the U.S. Department of State and administered by Howard University, the Thomas R. Pickering Fellowship Program provides undergraduate and graduate students with financial support, mentoring and professional development to prepare them academically and professionally for a career in the U.S. Department of State Foreign Service.
Women, members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service, and students with financial need are encouraged to apply.
- U.S. citizen.
- College junior expected to receive bachelor's degree in spring 2021.
- GPA of 3.2 or higher at the time of application.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and academic excellence.
- Have an interest in working as a Foreign Service officer with the U.S. Department of State and representing the U.S. around the world.
- Passion for public service.
- Fellows must enroll in a two-year, full-time master's degree program in an academic field relevant to the work of Foreign Service and be prepared to enter the Foreign Service in summer 2023.
- Fellows agree to a minimum five-year service commitment in the Department of State’s Foreign Service. The five-year service commitment begins upon entry into the Foreign Service.
Various Department of State posts worldwide.
Amount, Duration of Award
Award is up to $37,500 annually and covers tuition, room and board, books, mandatory fees and some travel expenses for the senior year of undergraduate studies, and first year of a master’s degree in fields related to the Foreign Service such as business administration, economics, public policy, international affairs and other relevant fields. Also, two summer internships, one at a domestic office of the Department of State in Washington, D.C., and one overseas at a U.S. embassy or consulate. The program provides stipends, transportation and housing for these internships. Further, the award provides mentoring from a Foreign Service officer throughout the duration of the fellowship and employment in the Department of State Foreign Service for those who successfully complete the program and Foreign Service entry requirements.
- Online application
- Copy of U.S. citizenship
- Personal statement
- Most recent financial aid award letter
- Most recent student aid report
- Statement of financial need
- Two letters of recommendation
Dates, Deadlines and Notification
- Intent-to-apply deadline: Email firstname.lastname@example.org by TBA
- Selection interviews: TBA
- Notification: After selection interviews