Jerome A. Schiff Undergraduate Fellows Program
The Jerome A. Schiff Undergraduate Fellows Program provides funding for students to perform an innovative research or pedagogical project under the guidance of a Brandeis faculty mentor. See the 2021-22 Fellowship Recipients. Learn more about the Schiff Fellows program.
- Brandeis sophomore, junior or senior
- Strong academic record
- Schiff Fellows generally apply as sophomores or juniors. First year students may apply, but must have strong support from their proposed mentor.
- Projects supported by the Schiff Fellowships should be projects that are distinct from any research for course credit the student is doing simultaneously (e.g. a senior thesis). Students doing senior thesis research can apply for a Schiff fellowship to support a project that may be related but is separate from the thesis research.
- Students are required to fill out an I-9 in order to receive the stipend. International Students are encouraged to review the steps for beginning on-campus employment found on the International Students and Scholars Office website. Please contact Kathleen McMahan, Department Administrator, with any questions related to I-9 eligibility or the I-9 process.
Amount, Duration of Award
$2,000 stipend for each Schiff Fellow (non-U.S. citizens are subject to special tax deductions). Each Brandeis faculty mentor also receives a stipend of $500 towards their own research. The project should span the entire academic year. Depending on the nature of your project, your time commitment may fluctuate or remain consistent throughout the year. Some fellows begin their work in the summer and use a portion of their stipend for on-campus housing.
- Completed application. (Login to Brandeis Gmail to gain access to the application form.)
- Proposed program of investigation
- Letter of recommendation, which must be submitted by your faculty mentor to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates, Deadlines and Notifications
- Campus deadline: March 2, 2022 (The Application has not yet been posted for 2022)
- Notification: Schiff Fellows will be notified in early April and are expected to accept or decline their award within one week after notification.