How to Apply
Diversity StatementThe Mathematics Department is committed to building a diverse talented cohort, and strongly encourages women and under-represented minority groups to apply.
- PhD Program: January 15
- MA/MS: Rolling through April 1; application review begins January 15
- Post-Baccalaureate Program: Fall deadline: Rolling through April 1; application review begins January 15. Spring deadline: November 1.
To apply for all programs, you need to submit:
- An online application.
- An application fee
- Transcripts from all universities and colleges attended must be uploaded to your application; do not mail official transcripts to our office. For more information, visit the Graduate School's Frequently Asked Questions.
- Letters of recommendation, submitted electronically: PhD applications require 3 letters of recommendation; MA and MS applications require two letters of recommendation, but three are recommended; postbaccalaureate applications require one letter of recommendation, but two are recommended.
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé
- A statement of purpose - PhD and MA applicants should indicate their reasons for undertaking graduate study. In addition, they should describe their qualifications for the academic program and their objectives in undertaking this program. Postbaccalaureate applicants should write about their reasons for undertaking the program, describe their background in mathematics, and explain how this program will help them achieve their goals.
- Standardized Tests - Graduate Record Exam (GRE) general and subject tests are recommended, but not required. Our GRE institution code is 3092 (please note: this institution code only applies to GRE scores). MyBest™ scores from ETS will not be accepted.
- Additional Requirements for International Applicants: Score report from one of the following English language proficiency exams: TOEFL iBT, TOEFL Revised Paper-delivered Test, TOEFL ITP Plus for China Solution, IELTS Academic, PTE Academic, or Duolingo English Test. You can arrange for the delivery of your TOEFL iBT or Revised Paper-delivered Test score report by providing ETS with our institution code, 3261 (no department code is necessary); please note that we do not accept TOEFL Essentials score reports or MyBest™ scores from ETS. Delivery of your TOEFL ITP Plus scores can be arranged via your Vericant account, delivery of your Duolingo scores can be arranged via your Duolingo account, and delivery of your PTE Academic scores can be arranged via your Pearson account. Further information about this requirement can be found on the International Students page.
For a more comprehensive description of application requirements, please visit Frequently Asked Questions.