Brandeis Study Abroad Account
Summer 2017: March 16, 2017
Read Student Evaluations
Courses and Credit
Summer courses taken abroad on approved programs, in a country that is not a student's home country, may be counted as numeric credit and may count towards the 128 credits required to graduate. A combined maximum of 16 credits may come from external credit sources.
If you have met this limit or if you are taking classes in your home country, you may use summer study abroad courses to fulfill "purpose" (i.e. placement, pre-requisite, general university and major/minor requirement) requirements instead.
Internships that are completed on an approved summer study abroad program may be eligible for Brandeis credit. If you would like to receive credit for an internship abroad during the summer, please make sure that you bring your course work and papers back to Brandeis. You may need to provide these documents to our office in order to receive Brandeis University credit.
In addition to summer study abroad programs, students may want to speak to the Hiatt Career Center about other internship opportunities.
Summer Courses Taken at a University in the United States
If you would like to get Brandeis credit for summer study at an American university or program here in the United States, you should speak with the Office of the Registrar.
Course Approval Guidelines
Any course taken for credit on an approved summer study abroad program must meet the following criteria:
- The course must last a minimum of 5 weeks.
- The contact hours must be a minimum of 37 for a regular course and a minimum of 52 for the equivalent of level 10, 20 or 30 foreign language course.
- Internship courses must be over 100 hours over 5 weeks or more.
- Students must pass the course with a B- or better in order to receive credit.
- The overseas institution must be formally accredited in the US or abroad and cannot be a language school.
- Students may only claim two course credits per five-week session. Students may claim a maximum of three course credits each summer.
For any questions on course approval please make an appointment with an advisor in Study Abroad.