Brandeis Study Abroad Account

Contact Information

Office of Study Abroad
(781) 736-3483

Politics Department
Olin-Sang 204, MS 058
(781) 736-2750

Study Abroad Ambassadors

Want to learn more about studying abroad with a major or minor in Politics? Contact a Study Abroad Ambassador for more advice. 


Full Calendar >>

Study Abroad


Amritsar, Punjab, India.

There are many wonderful options all over the world for Politics Majors and Minors to study abroad. Including a study abroad experience in you Politics studies can assist in gaining cross-cultural perspectives and lead to advanced research. This page contains information that will assist Politics Majors and Minors in determining how to integrate study abroad into their Brandeis careers.

For an overview of the Politics Department undergraduate programs, please visit their website.

For more information about Politics Major/Minor requirements please review the online University Bulletin.

| FAQs | Sample of Approved Programs | Study Abroad Liaison | Receiving Credit in Politics | Funding Info |


1. Can I receive Politics (POL) credit for courses taken overseas?

Yes, as long as the chosen courses are sufficiently political as determined by the Politics department. With the approval of the Politics study abroad liaison, students may apply up to four semester courses towards the Politics major. Students who study abroad for one semester may apply up to two semester courses.

2. Can I complete one of the four Politics sub-fields abroad? 

It is possible to complete the sub-fields requirements while abroad: in political theory; American politics; comparative politics; and international politics. Students should work with the study abroad liaison to determine approval.

 Sample of Approved Programs with Politics Coursework

Visit the Brandeis Approved Programs List to review a comprehensive list of programs that offer Politics coursework.

Politics Study Abroad Liaison

To assist students with their academic choices abroad and to help answer any questions about receiving major/ minor credit while abroad, each academic department and program has assigned a faculty member to serve as the study abroad liaison. Politics majors who plan to study abroad should meet with the study abroad liaison before they go abroad, and again once they have returned from study abroad.

The liaison for Politics is Prof. Jytte Klausen.

Receiving Credit in Politics

Upon return to Brandeis University it is essential that you transfer the credit you earned abroad, otherwise your work overseas will not count towards your Politics Major/Minor.

Make an appointment to meet with Professor Klausen to assign Politics department credit for majors or minors. Please bring with you the necessary paperwork and proof of course approval.

Fall, Spring, or Academic Year

  1. Politics Majors are required to meet with the Study Abroad Advisor (Professor Klausen) to discuss appropriate Study Abroad programs and course selection that matches the Politics Department's expectations. If in doubt about the requirements for the Major, students should first meet with the Politics Department's Undergraduate Advisor (Professor Greenlee) to plan a program for how they will meet the requirements of the Politics Major.

  2. Once students are back at Brandeis, the Study Abroad Office will review the courses taken abroad and approve courses that may be eligible for transfer credits. Students will then need to prepare a petition to the Politics Department's Study Abroad Advisor (Professor Klausen) to have transfer credit approved. A required form is available online [Petition for Major/Minor Transfer Credit (TC03)] or from the Department Administrator (Ms. Colocouris). Students need to put together and submit to the Politics Department a dossier (paper only) comprised of the syllabi for the course or courses for which they wish transfer credit and grade transcripts for course work completed abroad for which they wish to obtain transfer credits. The dossier is submitted to Ms. Colocouris.

  3. Students may transfer up to two courses per semester from Study Abroad, and four if away for a year.

  4. Seminars and all required courses towards the Major must be taken with core Politics Faculty, that is, courses listed in the Bulletin with the POL designation. Transfer credits are not provided for required seminar courses, with the exception of students who have taken seminars under the tutorial system at Oxford University (UK).

  5. Transfer credits are generally granted for elective courses towards the Major. Transfer credits towards the field requirements (International Relations, Comparative Politics, Political Theory, and American Politics) may be obtained provided the course taken at the foreign institution fulfills certain requirements:

  • The syllabus are judged to fall FULLY within the subfield,
  • The course requirements are comparable to requirements of a typical course taught by the Politics Department (number and quality of readings, course requirements with respect to exams, papers, and presentations).

       6. The Brandeis in The Hague Program teaches courses                that are pre-approved as Politics transfer credit:

  • IGS/LGLS 180a The Spirit of International Law: meets departmental requirement for counting towards the International Relations subfield.
  • IGS/LGLS 128b Networks of Global Justice: counts as an elective course towards the Politics Major. 

*There is no need to submit a petition for transfer credit in the case of the pre-approved courses.

Summer Study Abroad

  • If you plan to study abroad during the Summer, you should complete a Petition for Major/Minor Transfer Credit (TC07) and bring the completed form and appropriate syllabus to an appointment with Professor Klausen prior to handing in the TC07 to Study Abroad.

Funding Information

The Institute for International Public Policy (IIPP) Fellowship Program provides underrepresented minority students with the education and training needed to successfully enter, advance and lead in international affairs careers.

Brandeis Scholarships for Study Abroad are available for students receiving need-based financial aid. Application materials are available online and in our office.

Boren Scholarships, The National Security Education Program (NSEP) Boren Scholarships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate students to add an important international and language component to their educations. .

Benjamin A. Gilman Undergraduate Scholarships Program provides undergraduate students with limited financial means with up to $5,000 to pursue overseas study. Students who plan to study and receive the Gilman Scholarship are also eligible to receive an additional $3,000 Critical Need Language Supplement from the Gilman Program. 

Visit the Study Abroad Financial Information page to read more about funding your study abroad experience. 

We welcome your feedback. If you have concerns or are looking for more information on a topic, please let us know!