These are the essential steps in a successful job search:
- Self-assessment: identify your goals, values, skills, interests, motivations and strengths
- Research and network: learn about individual companies, roles and fields through targeted industry research and networking
- Self-marketing: create individualized resumes, cover letters and interview responses that demonstrate the match between your experience and the position
- Decision making: clarify your priorities to be able to assess and respond to offers and choose options that meet your needs
There are two search strategies for finding out about career opportunities: 1) search for jobs that are posted on websites and 2) gather information about positions or potential openings from networking and research. Include both strategies in your search.
1) Posted Positions
The most comprehensive list of positions is on an employer's website. Some employers also post positions on other sites to draw attention to them with specific audiences. These sites are good sources for openings and may lead you to organizations that you had not heard about but are a good fit for you.
- Individual company websites
- B.hired (including Hiatt's on-line job and internship database, NIC and LACN)
- Hiatt career fairs and industry events (see calendar in B.hired)
- LinkedIn job pages
- General public sites, such as Indeed.com, Idealist.org
- Field specific career sites (see Spotlight on Careers, LTS research pages)
2) Beyond Posted Positions
About 70-80% of job seekers report that research, networking and outreach were integral to their success in the job search.
- Research and follow individual organizations that work in your field whether or not they have current openings
- Seek information about industry trends, organizational initiatives and sought-after skills from professors, alumni, fellow students, mentors, family and friends
- Expand your network to reach out beyond your immediate contacts to others in your field who can provide valuable information
- Have a solid LinkedIn profile that reflects your past and present experience, professional interests and full skill set
Meet with a counselor at Hiatt to help you clarify your interests, brainstorm possibilities and create individualized application materials that showcase your skills and experience.