Study Abroad

  • Students in front of the Binnenhof,

    Binnenhof; The Hague, the Netherlands

  • Study abroad experiences encourage students to think about Legal Studies through different cultural contexts. The Brandeis in The Hague program, for example, is a wonderful study abroad choice for Legal Studies students. For more information on adding an international focus to your curriculum, check out the sections below.

    Sample of Approved Programs with Legal Studies Coursework

    Visit the Brandeis Approved Programs List to review a comprehensive list of programs that offer Legal Studies coursework. Click on "Advanced Search" to filter options or search for unique program traits like internships or research. Additional programs might have acceptable coursework, but this list shows the primary locations where Legal Studies courses may be available.

    Legal Studies Study Abroad Liaison

    To assist students with their academic choices abroad and to help answer any questions about receiving minor credit while abroad, each academic department and program has assigned a faculty member to serve as the Study Abroad Liaison. Legal Studies majors who plan to study abroad should speak with the study abroad liaison before they go abroad, and again once they have returned from study abroad.

    The liaison for Legal Studies is Prof. Daniel Breen.

    Receiving Credit in Legal Studies

    Students wishing to receive Legal Studies credit for work done off campus during the academic year should discuss their desired coursework with their study abroad liaison for Legal Studies. After returning from abroad, complete the Petition to Request Substitution for a Requirement form.


    Can I receive Legal Studies (LGLS) credit for courses taken overseas?

    Yes, students may take up to a maximum of two courses for the minor. Students on the Brandeis in The Hague  program will have all courses count towards the Legal Studies minor.

    Is it possible to take LGLS 10a abroad?

    No. This course is required to be taken at Brandeis.

    Is it possible to complete the internship requirement while studying abroad or on Brandeis in The Hague program?

    Yes, for Brandeis in The Hague programs and with advanced permission for other programs.