Track 2: Senior Essay
In order to pursue the Track 2 honors designation in philosophy, students must have:
- Completed at least eight courses in philosophy. (After completing eight courses, students will be eligible to enroll in a 200-level course. Permission of the instructor is required in some cases.)
- Earned at least a 3.3 GPA overall and a 3.5 GPA in philosophy courses.
In order to earn the Track 2 honors designation in philosophy, a student must have:
- Satisfactorily completed 11 courses in philosophy.
- Satisfied all distribution requirements for the regular major.
- Satisfactorily completed the one-semester Honors Essay course (PHIL97a).
- Satisfactorily completed an honors essay.
- Graduate programs in philosophy give great weight to an applicant’s writing sample. It is important that this be as polished and sophisticated a philosophy paper as the student can produce. In the required Honors Essay class (PHIL 97a), students will have an opportunity to carefully select a suitable topic, be guided to the appropriate background materials and extensively revise their work under the close supervision of a faculty member.
- The model for an honors essay is that of a philosophy journal article; in most cases, the length and style of the honors essay should follow that model.
- The honors essay is due on or before the last day of classes of the spring semester.