The Joint MA Experience

Jara Connell

"The support of the faculty, staff, and resources of the WGS department were an invaluable asset to my MA experience. Through WGS I was able to meet renowned scholars, form lasting friendships, and receive intellectual training that has prepared me for my desired career trajectory."

-Jara Connell, M.A. '15
Joint M.A. in Women's and Gender Studies and Anthropology

Degree Options

WGS Students

The Women's, Gender, and Sexuailty Studies Program offers three graduate degree options.

Master of Arts in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies

The M.A. program is a full-time, two semester program (8 courses) that offers students grounding in feminist and gender theory, knowledge, and methodologies. Although the program does not offer specific tracks, students may choose to specialize in the particular strengths of the program, which include gender studies, sexuality studies, social and public policy, comparative literature and culture, or any of the disciplines in our terminal joint M.A. programs (anthropology, English, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies, public policy, sociology, and sustainable international development).

Joint Master of Arts Degree

A terminal M.A. in women's, gender, and sexuality studies is offered in conjunction with one of the following disciplines: anthropology, English, Near Eastern and Judaic studies, sociology, or sustainable international development (Heller). Many of these degrees can be earned in one year, but students may benefit from the rich array of course offerings by extending their studies into a second year. Prospective students apply through their home department in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences or the Heller School for Social Policy and Management. 

Joint Master of Arts Degree and Ph.D.

The joint M.A. can be obtained while in pursuit of a Ph.D. in one of the following fields: anthropology, English, history, music, Near Eastern and Judaic studies, psychology, social policy (through Brandeis' Heller School for Social Policy and Management) and sociology. This degree option replaces a master's degree in the student's program. Students currently enrolled in an affiliated Brandeis Ph.D. program may enroll in the joint M.A. at any time during their graduate studies with the approval of the joint M.A. graduate advisor in their home department. Prospective Ph.D. students interested in pursuing the joint M.A. must apply directly to the Ph.D. program through the home department, but should note their interest in the joint program in their statement of purpose.