Learning Goals

Download WGS Learning Goals (pdf)

Fact Sheet

Download a fact sheet about the women's and gender studies major at Brandeis University (pdf).


Transfer Your
Study Abroad Credit 

Hiatt Career Center

Visit the Hiatt Career Center for information on internships, career opportunities, resumes, shadowing, and more. 

Careers Paths

Ms. Magazine Article
See the different career paths that graduates with WGS degrees embark on.

Ms. Magazine Article
What you can do with a degree in Women's Studies

Undergraduate Program


UDRs Christina Marcelus, Hailey Magee, Amalia Bob-Waksberg

Brandeis offers a major and a minor for students interested in the dynamic field of women's and gender studies. Our program draws an enthusiastic and diverse group of students who seek intellectual challenges and who are committed to social justice. Women's and gender studies draws on the humanities, arts, social and biological sciences to explore the broad range of intellectual questions concerning the social positions of women and the gendered constructions of knowledge, identity and culture.

Students in the program have the opportunity to study theories of feminism, gender and sexuality; the diversity of women's experiences and representations past and present; and women's movements in the United States and around the globe. This curriculum brings students into contact with the extensive research on women, gender and feminism that has burgeoned during the past 30 years as well as with historical and cross-cultural knowledge that recognizes the intersections of gender with race, class, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, age, ability and nationality. Find out what some of our graduates are currently doing.

How Do I Become a Major or Minor?

As early as possible in their academic careers, students interested in women's and gender studies should take WMGS 5a, Women and Gender in Culture and Society, the required introduction to the field. In order to declare a major or minor, each student should meet with Dian Fox, WGS undergraduate advising head, or Thomas King, SQS advising head, who will help him or her select as an adviser a faculty member well suited to the student’s academic interests. The adviser will help to plan a course of study tailored to the student's intellectual and professional interests while meeting the core and elective requirements for the degree.

Students interested in study abroad options should also contact Dian Fox to learn what may be incorporated into your women's and gender studies program.