View From an Alum
"The Anthropology & WGS degree gave me the space to explore issues that I was interested in both academically and professionally. I also enjoyed being able to take fundraising courses for credit at the Heller School, which helped me expand my skillset. Now I work at MIT's Public Service Center, managing a competition that encourages students to develop innovative solutions to community problems. My studies at Brandeis have allowed me to assist students in critically thinking through their project development and implementation, taking into consideration a cultural and gendered perspective."
--Keely Swan '13
After completing one of our MA degrees, our graduates typically go on to PhD programs or enter the workforce. In the last five years about sixty people have completed the MA.
About one-third of our recent graduates are currently enrolled in PhD programs at universities including New York University, Boston University, Rice University, Rutgers University, Princeton University, Indiana University, University of Massachusetts-Boston, University of Florida, CUNY Graduate Center, University of California-Davis, California Institute of Integral Studies, University of California – Santa Cruz, Louisiana State University, SUNY Stony Brook, Brandeis University and other universities. Some enter PhD programs in Women, Gender and / or Sexuality Studies while others pursue PhDs in Anthropology, English, History, Music, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies, Sociology and other fields.
About two-thirds of our graduates enter the workforce in fields as diverse as law, advocacy, research and higher education. Current positions and employers include:
- Director, Women's and Gender Center, Amherst College
- Occupancy Specialist, BRIDGE Housing Corporation
- Actor, Boston Tea Party Ships
- Program Specialist, National Ovarian Cancer Coalition
- English Teacher, Butler High School
- Financial Counselor, Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Closing Coordinator/Public Finance Operations, Build America Mutual
- Teacher / Counselor, Farr Academy
- Learning and Conference Center Administrator, Fresenius Medical Center
- Administrative Coordinator, Tufts University
- IDEAS Global Challenge Administrator, MIT
- Program Manager, Democracy Building, Campaign for Good Governance
- Assistant Dean of Students, Florida State University
- Care 2 Connect Program Manager, Chicago House & Social Service Agency