School of Arts and Sciences Cocurricular Fund
Awards from the School of Arts and Sciences Cocurricular Fund are available to faculty members, program directors and department chairs in the School of Arts and Sciences to support student-centered programs inside and outside the classroom that enhance and expand educational activities for undergraduate students and/or offer opportunities for meaningful faculty-student interactions. Such programs and events might include guest lecturers, field trips, attendance at cultural events and artistic performances.
Proposal for cocurricular funds should be clear and well-written and must be approved by the appropriate department chair or program director. To apply, please complete and submit the form below. As part of your application, you will be asked to submit no more than a one-page description of your proposed activity and its educational value and impact, in addition to an itemized budget (including matching fund, if available).
For 2019-20, applications for funding are due by Aug. 15, Oct. 15 and Feb. 15, 2020. Retroactive applications will not be considered.
Review and Award Process
The dean of the School of Arts and Sciences administers the fund, in consultation with the division heads and the senior associate dean for undergraduate education.
Requests will be evaluated based on the following three criteria:
- The activity’s educational value.
- The number of students who will benefit.
- The amount of prior funding received by faculty member or program/department (to ensure breadth of distribution).
- While there is no maximum award, the amount normally awarded will rarely exceed $750 per activity.
- Outside speakers and performers can be offered a payment of up to $250 as an honorarium.
- Refreshments and food should be limited to $200 for lunch or refreshments, $300 for dinner.
- Tickets (train or air) for speakers and performers must be purchased at least two weeks in advance, with every effort to find lowest price, preferably through Carlson Wagonlit, the university’s travel agent. Hotel accommodations must be booked at a hotel that provides a discounted rate to Brandeis.
- All reimbursements and invoices should be entered through the Marketplace portal. For expenses, please choose “A&S Dean’s Cocurricular Fund” in the expense category field, attach the receipt, save and submit. The dean’s office will receive an email to enter the UNet ID/cost center/account code and approve. The process is the same for invoices, except that the fund will be found in the commodity field.