Research, Creative Activity and Travel Support

Funding for Research, Scholarship and Creative Activity
  • Theodore and Jane Norman Awards for Faculty Research and Creative Projects
    Competitive awards of up to $3,500 per year to support faculty research, creative projects or course development. Pretenure faculty may also apply for Norman funds to support a book manuscript workshop.
  • Provost Research Awards
    These awards support early stage innovative scholarly inquiry and creative activities that have the potential for significant, sustained impact. Awards are administered through the Office of the Vice Provost for Research. Requests for proposals are announced each spring for the upcoming fiscal year, and recipients share their projects at the "Celebration of Scholarly Inquiry" event. The maximum award per applicant is $50,000.
  • Salary Support for Faculty Awarded Prestigious External Fellowships or Grants
    With the support of the Theodore and Jane Norman Salary Replacement Award, faculty who receive major, prestigious external grants or fellowships (e.g., Guggenheim, Fulbright, ACLS, NEH, Radcliffe Institute, AAAS fellows and grants from “in-residence” centers such as the National Humanities Center) may request salary replacement, up to a maximum of $25,000 per semester, to maintain the level of that salary for up to one year (two semesters). Recipients may also request continuation of health insurance and other benefits while on leave, although certain benefits may not be available or may be reduced because of legal limitations in the benefits plan.
  • School of Arts and Sciences Cocurricular Fund
    Available to faculty members, program directors and department chairs in the School of Arts and Sciences to support student-centered programs inside and outside the classroom that enhance and expand educational activities for undergraduate students and/or offer opportunities for meaningful faculty-student interactions.
  • Tomberg Research Fund
    Each tenure-track assistant professor who does not have Brandeis laboratory startup/research funds will have access to $4,000 in research and travel funds for the fiscal year. Research funds will be available for each year of the appointment as an assistant professor. Faculty who are on leave are eligible.
Sabbaticals, Leaves, Course Releases and Buyouts
  • Theodore and Jane Norman Junior Faculty Research Leaves
    All full-time, tenure-track faculty whose teaching load is at least two courses per year are guaranteed one semester of paid research leave in either the fourth or fifth year of residence at the university.
  • Sabbaticals
    Faculty are eligible for sabbatical leave in the seventh academic year after completion of 12 semesters of full-time service at Brandeis University. Sabbatical leave is granted by the provost, with the advice of the department chair and the appropriate academic dean, to faculty who have held rank of associate professor with tenure, or professor with tenure, for at least two semesters of full-time service.
  • Senior Faculty Research Semester
    These competitive awards provide arts and sciences faculty with a nonteaching semester and research funds to allow them to focus on a scholarly or creative focus. Recipients are expected to maintain their normal service and advising duties and be in residence, except for periods of research-related travel. Senior faculty research leave can be taken between earned sabbaticals or may be paired with an unpaid leave or sabbatical to create a nonteaching year; however, configurations that result in three consecutive nonteaching semesters will not be considered.
  • Course Reductions and Buyouts
    Faculty may buy out their teaching with money from grants. They may also reduce their normal teaching load by accepting a reduction in pay of 15% of their academic year salary for one course (for faculty whose normal teaching load is four courses per year) or 25% for one course (if their normal teaching load is three courses per year).
  • Faculty Travel Awards
    Faculty scheduled to present, give a performance and/or participate in a professional capacity are eligible for travel funds of up to $2500, per year for travel in the U.S. and Canada, and up to $3,000 for travel outside North America.