Tomberg Research Funds
The School of Arts and Sciences makes available $4,000 in research and travel funds to all tenure-track assistant professors who do not have Brandeis laboratory startup/research funds.
The following guidelines are in effect for the 2020-21 academic year:
- Research funds will be available for each year of the appointment as an assistant professor. Faculty who are on leave are eligible.
- Activities to be supported by this fund include research travel, travel to conferences, computers/software, Widener card, books, course development materials and research assistants. Other categories of expense should be approved in advance. For payments to outside vendors, please forward the invoice to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a W-9 Vendor Certification Form. All reimbursements to yourself (for travel or other miscellaneous purchases) should be submitted through MarketPlace+. Once in the system, under “Expense Category” choose "A&S Dean’s Tomberg Fund." Proceed to enter expenses, attach receipts and submit. The dean’s office will receive an email instructing them to enter the unet id/chartstring/account code and approve.
- We recommend that laptops be purchased through Brandeis information technology services, which will make recommendations for purchase and configure the machines with Brandeis software. The computers will be Brandeis University property, reserved for your exclusive use.
- For payments to outside vendors, please forward the invoice to email@example.com, along with a Brandeis University W-9 Vendor Certification Form. Please do not pay consultants directly yourself and then try to get reimbursed; Brandeis must track the amounts paid to consultants for IRS reporting. If the consultant is to be paid $600 or more, you must also complete an independent consultant agreement form and the consultant requisition and authorization form (both listed under Accounts Payable section).
- Funds must be expended during the fiscal year ending June 30, 2021, and may not be carried forward.
- The development office may contact you for more information about your project for stewardship purposes.
- Faculty may not apply for additional travel funds, but may apply for Norman grants and other Brandeis funding opportunities.