Travel Policy for Tenured Faculty and Faculty on Renewable Contracts of at Least Half-Time Status
The dean of arts and sciences has a budget to support a limited amount of travel for professional conferences and meetings, subject to availability of grant or other funding.
Because the dean’s travel budget is limited, authorization of requests are made subject to budget constraints on a first-come, first-served basis. In submitting your request, please observe the following guidelines.
- Annual limit per faculty member is $2,500 for travel in the U.S. and Canada and $3,000 for travel outside the U.S. and Canada.
- Faculty member must be scheduled to present a paper, give a performance and/or participate in an official capacity. Language professors: Please see policy on professional development travel for University Writing Program and language instructors.
- A travel request form (accessible pdf) must be submitted to the Office of the Dean of Arts and Sciences with the department chair’s signature, and approved in advance of the conference.
- All reasonable travel costs, conference registration and hotel stays will be reimbursed.
- Faculty are required to make airline reservations as early as possible, but no less than two weeks in advance of travel. They are encouraged to get the best possible airfare, typically through the university's preferred travel portal, Egencia, or other resources (internet, group arrangements, etc.). If the fare requested is not reasonable, the dean reserves the right to give partial reimbursement.
Other Requests for Travel
- Other requests for professional development should be addressed to the department chair, who may know of available funds.
- Faculty travel that may be necessary for faculty searches is reimbursed separately. Please see the search committee chair for details.