Travel Policy for Tenured Faculty and Faculty on Renewable Contracts of at Least Half-Time Status
The Dean of Arts and Sciences has a budget to support a limited amount of travel for professional conferences and meetings, subject to availability of grant or other funding.
**For academic year 2020-21, the Dean of Arts & Sciences can offer faculty up to $250 to be used for registration for online professional meetings. For this year only, you do not need to be presenting a paper to receive funds. Please complete the following information below.**
Because the Dean’s travel budget is limited, authorization of requests are made subject to budget constraints on a first-come, first-served basis. In submitting your request, please observe the following guidelines:
- Annual limit per faculty member is $2,500 for travel in the U.S. and Canada or up to $3,000 if travel includes destinations outside the U.S. and Canada. The maximum award is $3000 per year, regardless of the type of travel.
- Faculty member must be scheduled to present a paper, give a performance and/or participate in an official capacity. Language professors: Please see policy on professional development travel for University Writing Program and language instructors.
- All reasonable travel costs, conference registration and hotel stays will be reimbursed, however, food/refreshments will not be covered.
- Faculty are required to make airline reservations as early as possible, but no less than two weeks in advance of travel. They are encouraged to get the best possible airfare, typically through the university's preferred travel portal, Egencia, or other resources (internet, group arrangements, etc.). If the fare requested is not reasonable, the Dean reserves the right to provide only partial reimbursement.
Other Requests for Travel
- Other requests for professional development should be addressed to the department chair, who may know of available funds.
- Faculty travel that may be necessary for faculty searches is reimbursed separately. Please see the search committee chair for details.