Brandeis Graduate Professional Studies

Academic Grievance and Complaint Procedure

Any student who feels they have a grievance with faculty regarding an academic matter, including dissatisfaction with grades or grading procedures, should contact the faculty member within 10 business days after the grade in question is made available. If such a meeting results in a mutually acceptable solution, then the matter shall be considered closed. If either party wishes to have a written statement of the outcome, the parties should put the solution in writing, sign it and each retain a copy.

If the academic grievance is unresolved or the complaint is of a non-academic nature, the student may proceed with the following steps:

  1. The student must initiate the grievance and/or complaint procedure by submitting a formal written statement within 10 business days utilizing the Academic Grievance and Complaint Form. The written statement must specify the nature of the complaint and the remedy desired. The Director of Student Services will oversee the resolution of the matter within 14 days from submission of the written complaint.
  2. The written complaint will be reviewed by the Program Chair, Director of Faculty Operations, and Director of Online Learning.
  3. Once a decision is reached, the student will be notified in writing via email from the Director of Student Services.
  4. The student may appeal the decision, in writing, to the Vice President of the Rabb School within 14 business days of the decision. The appeal should specify why the proposed solution is not acceptable. The Vice President's decision is final.
Massachusetts Residents and Online Students in Non-SARA Member States and Territories

Students must attempt to resolve the issue at the institutional level. If the matter is not resolved at the institution level, students may seek to file a formal complaint with the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office (AGO) by using the consumer complaint form. The AGO consumer complaint form should be used by students who are located in:

  • Massachusetts
  • Non-SARA member states or territories (e.g., California, Guam, etc.)

California and Guam residents may also file complaints with their home state or territory by using the following links:

Online Students Located in SARA Member States and Territories

Students located in SARA member states and territories must attempt to resolve the issue at the institutional level. If the matter is not resolved at the institution level, non-Massachusetts residents that are located in NC-SARA member states may seek to file a formal complaint with the DHE by using the SARA complaint form.

If you are unsure of which process to pursue, please contact Harry Skoyles, Director of Student Services.