As a graduate student am I eligible to apply for student loans?

Yes, federal loans are available to U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens. Private loans are also available to U.S. Citizens and in limited cases international students may be eligible to apply. Please see How to Apply for Loans for detailed information.

I am an applicant to the PhD program. How can I apply for funding?

Each applicant to the PhD programs will be automatically considered for a full-tuition scholarship, plus stipend. A separate application is not required.

As a candidate to a master’s or postbaccalaureate program, am I eligible for financial assistance?

Master’s candidates are normally eligible for partial need-based and merit-based tuition scholarships. Merit awards may vary by program and are usually awarded at the time of admission. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who wish to be considered for need-based scholarships must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Brandeis FAFSA code is 002133. International Applicants should follow the instructions in their award letter to submit the CSS Profile. Although teaching fellowships are usually reserved for Ph.D. students, a limited number of assistantships may be awarded to master’s candidates in a very few selected programs.

Financial assistance for postbaccalaureate programs varies, but students should fill out the FAFSA (U.S. citizens and permanent residents) or the International Application for Financial Aid to be considered for aid.

For complete information about sources of funding, including loans, please see Financial Aid.

I am a non-degree/special student. What is the cost per course?

Please visit Non-Degree and Special Students where you will find information on cost and directions on how to apply.

How do I find out more about housing options and expenses?

Please visit the Graduate Student Affairs website, where you can find out more about off-campus housing, temporary housing, roommate agreements, and furniture rentals.