Study Abroad

  • People cross a river in Senegal

    Crossing a river in Senegal

  • In order to gain a deeper understanding of other cultures, International and Global Studies (IGS) majors take one additional language course (beyond the university requirement) and complete either a study abroad program or an international internship.  A study abroad experience will allow students to understand, from an international perspective, the complex processes of globalization that profoundly affect politics, economics, culture, society and the environment.

    In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have created flexibility for students to meet their international experience requirement. Please review this document.

    Get Started

    The Office of Study Abroad has provided a road map of the steps to take to enroll in a study abroad program here.

    IGS Study Abroad Liaison

    To assist students with their academic choices abroad and to help answer any questions about receiving major/minor credit while abroad, each academic department and program has assigned a faculty member to serve as the abroad liaison. IGS majors/minors who plan to study abroad should speak with the study abroad liaison before they go abroad and once again after they have returned.

    The liaison for IGS is Prof. Kristen Lucken. We recommend that you review this document prior to your initial meeting with Prof. Lucken to discuss study abroad plans.

    Sample of Approved Programs with IGS Coursework

    Visit the Brandeis Approved Programs List to review a comprehensive list of programs that offer IGS coursework. Click on "Advanced Search" to filter options or search for unique program traits like internships or research. Additional programs might have acceptable coursework, but this list shows the primary locations where IGS courses may be available.

    Receiving Credit in IGS

    Students wishing to receive IGS credit for courses taken off campus during the academic year should discuss their desired coursework with their IGS study abroad liaison. After returning from abroad, students must complete the Petition to Request Substitution for a Requirement form.