Brandeis Summer School

Academic Year Admission for Non-Degree U.S. Students

Brandeis University offers students who are not currently enrolled at another college or university the opportunity to take Brandeis classes during the fall and spring term as part-time students on a space-available basis.

Special Students must have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent. On a space available basis, you may be eligible to enroll in one or two courses per semester in the fall or spring terms. Students will have special-student status as a non-degree student.

If you are currently enrolled as a student at another college or university and would like to be a full-time visiting student, please visit the Office of Admissions.

Current high school students who wish to take a course during the fall or spring term should contact the Office of Precollege Programs.

Please note:

  • Special Student status is subject to approval on an individual and semester basis. Students whose academic performance does not meet Brandeis standards may be denied permission to register for a second semester.
  • Special Students are allowed to take one or two classes as commuting students only. On-campus housing is not available.
  • Because Special Students are part-time students, financial aid is not available.
  • Courses with limited enrollment or instructor consent required may be more difficult to enroll in, so early registration for these classes is recommended.
  • International students who are in the U.S. under the terms of a visa, should see the Special Information for International Students below.

Registration Process

  1. Special Students are limited to a maximum of 8 credits, so a Special Student may take one or two four-credit classes.
    • After finding a class, Special Students should consult the course description on the Registrar's Schedule of Classes or the University Bulletin to see if there are prerequisites for the course.
    • Prerequisites and corequisites for upper-level classes ensure that students enter a class with shared knowledge of the subject area before tackling more advanced concepts.
  2. Review the Academic Calendar for the term.
  3. Secure your finances for the course.  As a part-time Special Student, financial aid is not available. Also, since this program is part-time, Special Students do not qualify for, or receive, visa assistance.
  4. Requesting a Special Student Application by emailing As part of this application you are asked to have either your high school or college transcript sent to us (see application for more information). Return your completed Special Student Application to
  5. Applications for Fall 2023 should be submitted by August 1, 2023 and applications for Spring 2024 should be submitted by December 1, 2023.

Special Information for International Students Who Are Already in the U.S.

International students seeking Special Student status should note that Brandeis University is unable to issue or sponsor student visas as the Special Student program does not meet the full-time enrollment definition set forth by the Department of Homeland Security required for the student visa status.

For individuals who are in the U.S. in another non-immigrant visa status (non-U.S. Citizens, non-U.S. permanent residents/green card holders), participation in courses as a Special Student should be within the terms of the visa status for which you are presently in the U.S.

It is the responsibility of the student to make certain they may take courses under their current visa status. Please check first with the sponsor of your visa (current college or university or current employer) to make sure you would not violate the terms of your visa by taking a class as a Special Student.

Financial aid is not available for non-degree students.