Fall vs. Spring
There is no right or wrong time to study abroad. If you are trying to figure out when is the best time for YOU to go overseas, schedule an appointment with any one of the study abroad staff and we will be glad to help you think through your options!
Study Abroad Ambassadors
Want to learn more about studying abroad in the Fall or Spring? Contact a Study Abroad Ambassador for more information.
Many Brandeis students are already embracing the challenge to understand global issues by traveling abroad to experience different cultures first hand. However, certain study abroad options, especially those offered in the fall, are underutilized by Brandeis students. In an effort to encourage students to take full advantage of the opportunities to study abroad and to more fully integrate their international experience with the rest of their academic career at Brandeis and beyond, the Office of Study Abroad is excited to highlight the many advantages of studying abroad in the fall
Resources for Planning a FALL AWAY Semester:
- Financial Resources
- Returnee Advice
- Contact a Study Abroad Ambassador
- Meet with a Study Abroad staff member
There are some great reasons students might want to consider going away for the Fall semester. Below is a list of reasons that studying abroad in the fall can be a great advantage to you. We also have extra money available for students who go abroad in the fall.
Go Away with More
- Going in the Fall means you'll have more time to prepare for your sojourn –the more you know before you go, the more you get out of the experience!
- Take advantage of extra time over the summer to read up on your host country's history and culture, and to brush up your language skills.
- Fewer people on your program and in your classes means better integration and more personal attention from instructors and administrators.
- Nationally, more people study abroad in the Spring than the Fall – buck the trend and beat the crowds!
Increase your Chances of Getting Into a Unique Experience
- Fall programs tend to fill less quickly and often have less strict GPA and pre-requisite requirements.
- Have your heart set on a selective or popular program? Fall is usually your best bet for getting in.
Minimize Internship Stress
- Fewer people in your host location in the Fall means less competition for the best internship/ research and field placements.
- Be back at Brandeis in the Spring so you can apply and interview for summer internships.
Beat the Cold
- As we're entering the cold winter season here in North America, Spring is transitioning to Summer in the Southern hemisphere – enjoy the "winter" break in 80 degree weather.
- Fall is also a great time to visit the U.K. In the words of one returned student who spent a year in Ireland, "Spring term is colder, rainier and gloomier."
Experience Different Holiday Traditions
- Discover new holidays and new interpretations of the holidays you thought you knew.
- Share your own holiday traditions with new friends and family.
Be on Campus for Spring Student Life
- Be back on campus to participate in Spring Fest, Culture X, Festival of the Arts and other student life events.
- It may be important to be on campus in the spring for some leadership opportunities such as CA, Club leadership, and Roosevelt Fellow selection.
- Witness your graduation senior friends as they officially become alums of Brandeis - get that chance to say goodbye!