Emergency After Hours
In case of an emergency after normal office hours that affects the health and safety of a Brandeis student studying abroad, please contact the Brandeis University Office of Public Safety at 781-736-3333 and ask to have a study abroad staff member contacted regarding the emergency.
Mailing Address, E-Mail, & Fax Information
Office of Study Abroad
Usdan 169, MS 073
415 South Street
Waltham, MA 02453-2728
Office: Usdan 169
Phone: (781) 736-3483
Fax: (781) 736-3469
Resource Library Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 - 5
Scheduling Appointments & Drop-Ins
If you would like to make an appointment after completing some first steps and watching the Information Session, you can do so by using our online scheduling system or calling our office at 781-736-3483. Thank you!
We also have Drop-In Hours for 15 minute appointments during the following times:
- Mon. - Fri.: 2 pm - 4 pm
In the event of an emergency, political crisis, or natural disaster affecting a Brandeis study abroad student, Office of Study Abroad staff will be in close contact with relevant students, on-site colleagues, parents/guardians, medical and security insurance providers, and/or US Embassies and Consulates as necessary.
In the case of an emergency, students are instructed to contact appropriate on-site staff immediately.
Students participating in a Brandeis-Led Study Abroad Program must contact the onsite Faculty Director. The partner provider or university may also be contacted for local assistance.
The on-site staff in turn will contact the Office of Study Abroad. Depending on the severity of the situation, the Office of Study Abroad staff may contact the person the student has listed as their emergency contact.
Family members of students studying abroad are asked to contact the U.S. based offices of their student’s program and/or the Office of Study Abroad with any safety concerns they may have for their student.
Emergency Contact Information
Brandeis University Office of Study Abroad staff members are always happy to talk to parents and students about health, safety, and security overseas.
- Brandeis University Office of Study Abroad (weekdays/9-5pm): 781-736-3483
- Brandeis University Office of Public Safety (after hours in the event of an emergency): 781-736-3333
- U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs
- The Bureau of Consular Affairs provides travel announcements and warnings for countries and regions around the world, along with a range of services to Americans living and traveling overseas. Call 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202-501-4444) to speak with Overseas Citizens Services in the event of an emergency.
- State Department Information Specifically for Students Abroad
- This has links to U.S. embassies and consulates abroad, and an online system to register with the U.S. Embassy in the student’s host country (recommended).
If it is necessary to contact the Office of Study Abroad, please provide as much of the following information as possible:
- your name
- country & program of study
- student(s) names
- date & time of occurrence/condition
- description of occurrence/condition
- action taken thus far
- action requested of Officer (if appropriate)
- return contact information