Training and Professional Development
Brandeis University takes pride in the rich hub of knowledge and varied life experiences of our valued staff members. Empowering team members in furthering their education with training and professional development keeps their knowledge base relevant, makes their job experience more rewarding and adds value to the university as a whole.
Employees are welcome to benefit from:
- Hands-on trainings.
- Web-based instructional videos from LinkedIn Learning.
Workshop modules will be presented as 90-minute interactive sessions via Zoom from 9 – 10:30 a.m. on the following dates:
- Tuesday 9/28 – Module A: Charting the New Reality - register- A Collective Retrospective Organizational Resilience is the ability of an organization to anticipate, prepare for, respond and adapt to – and learn from - disruptions in order to survive and prosper. During this initial session, we will learn how managers from across the University adapted to the changes necessitated by the pandemic. We will capture challenges encountered, approaches adopted, evaluate what worked and worked less well, and begin to define a “Brandeis Best-practices Model” for remote and hybrid management.
- Thursday 9/30 – Module B: Best Practices and Techniques for Managing a Remote or Hybrid Workforce - register - This module builds upon the ‘best practices’ captured in the first module, bolstering vulnerabilities, while building upon existing strengths.
- Business continuity elements for the Hybrid work environment
- Identifying requirements – mapping jobs and tasks
- Building pathways for communication and collaboration
Managers Skills Development Trainings (presented by Breakthrough Collaboration)
Previously available by invitation only, these workshops are now open to all managers who would like to take advantage of this opportunity and can be taken as a series or as individual sessions based on interest.
Workshops will cover special challenges due to the pandemic and will be presented as 90-minute interactive sessions via Zoom from 9 – 10:30 a.m. on the following dates:
- Tuesday 10/21 – Managing Change - The Art of Agile Leadership
- Wednesday 10/27 – Managing the Human Element of Change
- Friday 11/12 – Managing Up, Across and Down
- Tuesday 11/16 – Managing Performance Conversations
- Thursday 12/2 – Managing Teams
- Thursday 12/9 – Managing Conflict
Fall 2021 Workshops:
The well-being of the Brandeis community and campus remain a top priority during these times. To support our managers, staff and faculty during COVID-19 and our Fall 2021 planning, and as part of professional development, we are offering the following trainings and workshops via Zoom from 10 – 11 a.m. on the following dates:
- Thursday 10/14 – Support for Return to the Workplace for Employees
- Tuesday 10/19 – Work/Home/Self – Keeping Balance in Your Life
- Thursday 10/28 – Time Management
- Wednesday 11/10 – Making Change Work for You
Webinars offered by New Directions:
Go to www.ndbh.com and log in selecting “Employee Assistance Program” and using the company code: brandeis university. Scroll down to the bottom of the Home page to register for live webinars.
For all webinars there are sessions at noon – 1 p.m. & 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Wednesday 11/10 – Thriving in Uncertainty
The unknown is a scary thing. It can be difficult to plan or figure out what to do next. Discover how to embrace uncertainty and navigate it with poise and resiliency.
- Wednesday 11/17 – Managing with Flexibility
When facing change or uncertainty, one of the greatest traits a leader can have is flexibility. In this session, learn how to modify your style and approach to leadership to overcome challenges and achieve goals.
- Monday 12/13 – The Art of Listening
Listening is the foundation of conversation and a skill that requires practice. In this session, learn how to listen actively and respond thoughtfully for better communication and understanding.
- Monday 12/20 – Actively Managing Conflict
For a manager, being equipped to treat conflict as an asset instead of a liability is a true measure of leadership. In this session, supervisors acquire the essential tools, skills and processes to help them achieve healthy and responsive conflict resolution.
Fall 2021 Planning SessionThe session will provide managers with information about Fall 2021 planning and provide an opportunity to ask questions and address any concerns with key members of the Office of Human Resources and the Office of Campus Planning and Operations. Additional information can be found on the Fall Planning page.
Supporting Managers and Employees Returning to the Workplace Workshop
- Zoom recording of Support for Returning to the Workplace
- Session Slides of Support for Returning to the Workplace