Financial Information

Program Charges

During a summer abroad, students will be billed for some or all of the following charges from their study abroad program. However, all study abroad programs are different and you should check your program's site-specific information. Some programs do not arrange for these goods and services and you will have to arrange for them independently.

  • program deposit

  • program tuition

  • room & board

  • flights

  • books

  • visa, entry & exit taxes, passport fees

  • local transportation

Please note that Brandeis-Led summer programs have a different billing structure.

Brandeis Charges

Students will also be assessed an Off-Campus Study Fee of $400. This fee covers the administrative costs related to off-campus study program approval, transfer of credit, academic course approval, and student support services.

Program-Specific Scholarships

Many institutions and programs will offer grants and scholarships for students studying abroad on their program. Check with your individual program to see if they offer any merit and/or need-based scholarships.

External Scholarships

The Benjamin A. Gilman Undergraduate Scholarship Program is available for students who receive a Pell grant. For more information, visit the Gilman website. The deadline for Summer 2017 will be in March 2017.

Brandeis Scholarships

The Crown Center for Middle East Studies offers summer travel and study grants of up to $2,000 to current first years, sophomores, juniors, and seniors graduating in December 2016.  Any field of study may be considered but the research must be related to the Middle East.

The Frances Taylor Eizenstat '65 Undergraduate Israel Travel Grant Program are competitive grants of $2500 each, awarded to undergraduates from any Brandeis department pursuing academic or career interests in Israel. The deadline for summer tends to be in March, please refer to their website for more information.

You may want to browse the study abroad scholarship webpage for information on the scholarships below and various online databases on undergraduate scholarships abroad.

Financial Aid

Some need-based aid may be available for summer study abroad. For more information, please make an appointment to speak with your financial aid counselor in the Office of Student Financial Services (Usdan 120, 781-736-3700).

Supplementary Loans

These loans are not need-based and are designed to supplement the parent/student contribution to your educational costs. They can be used alone or in conjunction with need-based financial aid to finance your study abroad costs. Supplementary loans require additional applications. If you are interested in a supplementary loan, please make an appointment to speak with your financial aid counselor in the Office of Student Financial Services (Usdan 120, 781-736-3700).