Enid and Nate Ancell Professor of Physics
PhD, State University of New York, Stony Brook, 1979
Professor Bulbul Chakraborty is a condensed matter theorist who is interested in systems far from equilibrium. Her recent research has been focused on understanding the response of granular materials to external stresses. The physics of granular materials, such as sand, and dense suspensions, such as Oobleck, pose challenges for theoretical physicists because they seem to violate the norms established for most other materials. A crucial feature illustrated by people running across tanks of Oobleck is that these materials respond to shearing by becoming more rigid. Professor Chakraborty has established a theoretical framework for understanding the unusual response of these systems to shear. Her research also extends to more traditional condensed matter physics and statistical mechanics. A sampling of recent publications and short descriptions of her research topics can be found on the group’s website.
Recent PhD Students
- Sumantra Sarkar (2016), “Origin of Rigidity in Athermal Materials.” Present Position:
Postdoctoral Fellow, MIT, Cambridge, MA
- Dapeng "Max" Bi (2012),“Origin of Rigidity in Marginal Solids.”
Present Position: Physics Fellow, Rockefeller University's Center for Physics and Biology.
- Mitch Mailman (2011),“Jammed Packings of Soft Grains in 2D: Mechanical and Statistical Mechanical Properties.”
Present Position: Scientist, Frontier Technology, Boston, MA
- Ya Liu (2010),“Statics and Dynamics of Polymers in Confined Spaces.”
Present Position: Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Pittsburgh, PA
- Silke Henkes (2008) “A statistical mechanics framework for static granular matter.”
Present Position: Lecturer, Institute for Complex Systems and Mathematical Biology, University of Aberdeen, Scotland
- Josh Kalb (2007) "Single Polymer Systems Under Geometric Confinement.” Present Position: Mathematician, Kingshow Games
- Allison Ferguson (2006) " Dynamical Heterogeneities and Signatures Of Jamming in Dense Granular Flow.”
Present Position: Research Scientist, Bristol Aerospace, Winnipeg, Canada
- Hui Yin (2001) " The Study of a Frustrated Spin Model-Compressible Ising Anti-ferromagnet on a Triangular Lattice.”
Present Position: Mentor Graphics, San Jose, CA
Sample of Recent Publications
“Yielding and large deviations in micellargels: a model.” Saroj Kumar Nandi, Bulbul Chakraborty, A K Sood, and Sriram Ramaswamy, J. Stat. Mech. (2013) P02027
“Signatures of Incipient Jamming in Collisional Hopper Flows.” Shubha Tewari, Michal Dichter, and Bulbul Chakraborty, Soft Matter, 9, 5016 (2013)
“Origin of Rigidity in Dry Granular Solids.” Sumantra Sarkar, Dapeng Bi, Jie Zhang, R. P. Behringer, and Bulbul Chakraborty, arXiv:1305.3484v1 [cond-mat.soft] 15 May 2013.
“Fluctuations in shear-jammed states: A statistical ensemble approach.” Dapeng Bi, Jie Zhang, R.P.Behringer and Bulbul Chakraborty, EPL,102(2013) 34002.
“Effects of intrinsic fluctuations in a prototypical chemical oscillator: metastability and switching.” C. Michael Giver, Bulbul Chakraborty.