How to Add Captions
The Kaltura Video Platform launched in August 2022. Videos uploaded to your Kaltura MediaSpace will be automatically captioned using Kaltura REACH, which is automatic machine generated transcription (ASR).
Editing Kaltura REACH Captions
- Login to your MediaSpace (or, click the link directly from your notification email).
- Click on My Media.
- Click on the title of a video to select it.
- Once on the video page, click the Actions menu (bottom right). Then, select Captions & Enrich.
- If captions are available to edit, you will see information under Existing Requests.
- To review and edit the captions, click the Pencil Icon in the Status column. The Closed Captions Editor will appear.
- The Closed Captions Editor page is divided into two columns.
- The Left Column displays timestamps and caption text. You may make edits directly in the text boxes.
- The Right Column displays the video. Play and pause the video as needed to review your captions. As the video plays, the associated text will be highlighted in blue in the left column.
- Once you have completed your edits, click the Save button above the video player.
- A dialog box will appear. Click Yes to save your changes.
Ordering Closed Captions
If you choose to outsource your video captioning, we recommend using Rev.com. Rev captions must be reviewed for accuracy, but the editing required is minimal.
Fee: $1.25/minute paid by your department
Turnaround time: Varies by video length; typically within 24 hours
The following video platforms integrate with Rev — meaning your finished captions can be added to your video automatically. (The standard university templates also support these video platforms.)
Placing Your Order Through Rev
Captions on Other Video Platforms
Remember, autocaptions (captions created by machine) require thorough review for accuracy, spelling and punctuation before any video is made live.
- Adding new captions in YouTube
- Edit or remove existing captions in YouTube
- Download YouTube captions for use in other video players.
- Login on Studio.youtube.com and locate your video.
- Click on "subtitles" in the left-hand navigation menu.
- In the new screen, click on the 3 dot menu'
- Click on Download file
- Choose .vtt for Kaltura and most other video platforms.
- Choose .srt for Facebook
- If you need the .txt file, go to the caption editor in YouTube and click the 3 dot menu next to "edit timings" and choose "download". That option will download a .txt file.
The file that downloads can be uploaded to Kaltura, Facebook, Echo360, Premier, etc.