Paul E. Prosswimmer Professor of American Literature
PhD, Yale University
Meet Professor Burt through OpenBook: An English Department Podcast.
19th-century American literature, 20th-century American literature (especially poetry), Southern Gothic fiction, American romantic fiction, composition, rhetoric.
- "Political Violence and the Persuasive Engagement in Frederick Douglass," Literary Imagination, Volume 23, Issue 2, July 2021, 111-136.
- "Lincoln's Tragic Pragmatism." Harvard University Press, 2013
- "Victory." Turning Point Press, 2007
- "Selected Poems of Robert Penn Warren." Editor. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State Press, 2002
- "The Collected Poems of Robert Penn Warren." Editor. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State Press, 1998.
- "Work Without Hope." Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996.
- "Robert Penn Warren and American Idealism." New Haven: Yale University Press, 1988.
- "The Way Down." Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1988.
- Articles and poetry in ELH, Yale Review, Poetry Miscellany, Chicago Review, Shenandoah, and other journals.
- Fellowship, Newhouse Humanities Center at Wellesley College, 2006-07
- Guggenhein Fellowship, 1997
- ACLS Fellowship, 1997
Selected Courses Taught
- American Gothic & American Romance (ENG 177a)
- Fiction of the American South (ENG 207b)
- American Realism & Naturalism (ENG 126a)
Romanticism II: Byron, Shelley & Keats (ENG 125b)
- Undergraduate English Program
- Undergraduate Creative Writing Program
- Graduate Programs
- Contact Us
Office Location: Rabb 141
Office hours: M 2-3, W 1-2, and by appt