Assistant Professor of Russian
Director of the Russian Language Program
Research InterestsHeritage language acquisition
Heritage language pedagogy
Second language acquisition
Select Courses Taught
EL 94a: Experiential Learning Practicum
RUS 10a: Beginning Russian I
RUS 20b: Beginning Russian II
RUS 29b: Russian Language for Russian Speakers
RUS 30a: Intermediate Russian I
RUS 39b: Russian Language for Russian Speakers II
RUS 40b: Intermediate Russian II
RUS 105a: Russia Today: Advanced Language Skills through Contemporary Culture
RUS 106b: Advanced Russian Language through Film
RUS 115b: Topics in Russian Culture and Society
RUS 150b: Advanced Russian Language through Literature (in Russian)
RUS 153a: Russian Poetry and Prose in Russian: Undergraduate Seminar
RUS 160b: Russian/Soviet Jews: Dual Identities in Text, Image and Music
Bryn Mawr College, PhD
Bryn Mawr College, MA
University of Alaska, Fairbanks, MA
University of Alaska, Anchorage, BA
Magadan International Pedagogical University, BA
- BEST CONTRIBUTION TO LANGUAGE PEDAGOGY 2020 by American Association of Teachers of Slavic and Easter European Languages (AATSEEL)
- The Art of Teaching Russian was awarded Honorable mention for the Kenneth W. Mildenberger Prize by the Modern Language Association in 2021.
- National Science Foundation grant for "Parsed and Audio-Aligned Corpus of Bilingual Russian Child Speech (BIRCh)" (co-principal investigator)
- Theodore and Jane Norman Fund for Faculty Research and Creative Projects in Arts and Sciences (2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
- Brandeis University Provost’s Innovations in Teaching Grant (2015, 2016, 2018, 2019)
- Board of Directors of American Council of Teachers of Russian (2015-current)
- Mandel Faculty Research Grants in the Humanities (co-awardee), 2015-2016
- Brandeis University Provost’s Research Grant (2016)
- Davis Teaching and Learning Fellow (2015-2016)
- Louis Dembitz Brandeis Prize for Excellence in Teaching (2012)
- Doris Carland Prize for Outstanding Teaching (2007)
Dubinina, I. (2021). Pragmatics in heritage languages. In S. Montrul & M. Polinsky (Eds.), The Cambridge Handbook of Heritage Languages and Linguistics. Cambridge University Press (pp. 728-757).
Dengub, E., Dubinina, I., & J. Merrill. (Eds.). (2020). The Art of Teaching Russian. Georgetown University Press.
Dubinina, I. & O. Kisselev. (2019). Rodnaya Rech': An introductory course for heritage learners of Russian. Georgetown University Press.
in cooperation with I. Dubinina, authors Maria Lekic, Dan Davidson, Kira Gore. Russian Stage One: Live from Russia, vol. 1 & 2. Second ed. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2009.