Study Abroad

A row of buildings in Scotland


There are many wonderful options all over the world for politics majors and minors to study abroad. Including a study abroad experience in politics studies can assist in gaining cross-cultural perspectives and lead to advanced research. This page contains information that will assist politics majors and Minors in determining how to integrate study abroad into their Brandeis careers.

Sample of Approved Programs with Politics Coursework

Visit the Brandeis Approved Programs List to review a comprehensive list of programs that offer Politics coursework. There you can filter options to search for unique program traits like internships or research. Additional programs might have acceptable coursework, but this list shows the primary locations where Politics courses may be available.

Politics Study Abroad Liaison

To assist students with their academic choices abroad and to help answer any questions about receiving major/minor credit while abroad, each academic department and program has assigned a faculty member to serve as the Study Abroad Liaison. As every department has different policies regarding credit from abroad, the Study Abroad Liaison can assist you with guidance on major/minor credit. Find the Study Abroad Liaison for Politics here.

Receiving Credit in Politics

Students wishing to receive credit in Politics for coursework done off-campus during the academic year should discuss these plans with the Study Abroad Liaison. All students as part of their application process for either a summer or semester term abroad will be required to have a course proposal reviewed by the department if they wish to receive credit in that major/minor. For the semester, this is an initial conversation and students should continue to discuss plans with the department as they have more course information (syllabi, etc.). For the summer, courses are pre-approved. Upon return, semester students should complete the Petition to Request Substitution for a Requirement form for final and formal review.

Fall, Spring or Academic Year

  1. Politics majors are required to meet with the Study Abroad Advisor to discuss appropriate Study Abroad programs and course selection that matches the Department of Politics' expectations. If in doubt about the requirements for the major, students should first meet with the Department of Politics' Undergraduate Advisor to plan a program for how they will meet the requirements of the politics major.
  2. Once students are back at Brandeis, the Study Abroad Office will review the courses taken abroad and approve courses that may be eligible for transfer credits. Students will then need to prepare a petition to the Department of Politics' Study Abroad Faculty Liaison to have transfer credit approved. Students should complete the Petition to Request Substitution for Requirement.
  3. Students may transfer up to two courses per semester from Study Abroad, and four if away for a year.
  4. Seminars and all required courses towards the major must be taken with core politics faculty, that is, courses listed in the Bulletin with the POL designation. Transfer credits are not provided for required seminar courses, with the exception of students who have taken seminars under the tutorial system at Oxford University (UK).
  5. Transfer credits are generally granted for elective courses towards the major. Transfer credits towards the field requirements (International Relations, Comparative Politics, Political Theory, and American Politics) may be obtained provided the course taken at the foreign institution fulfills certain requirements:
  • The syllabus are judged to fall FULLY within the subfield,
  • The course requirements are comparable to requirements of a typical course taught by the Department of Politics (number and quality of readings, course requirements with respect to exams, papers, and presentations).

Summer Study Abroad

  • If you plan to study abroad during the summer, you should complete the Summer Course Proposal Form.