A Brandeis Holiday Tradition

Dec. 5, 2016

Dear Colleagues,

It is with great pleasure that I invite you to participate in a Brandeis tradition. On Thursday, December 8 at 4:00 p.m., in the Shapiro Campus Center atrium, all interested members of the Brandeis community are invited to participate (active or supportive) in our annual community sing of highlights from Handel’s masterwork “Messiah.” Your families are invited to attend as well.

Originally an Easter offering, and now popular for the Christmas season, the first performance of “Messiah” took place in Dublin’s Music Hall in 1742; the first performance in the United States took place in Boston in 1818. The hour-long concert will be performed by the Brandeis-Wellesley Orchestra (Neal Hampton, conductor) and the Brandeis Chamber Singers and University Chorus (Robert Duff, conductor). For your singing pleasure, music scores will be provided. Please arrive a few minutes early to get your copy!

“Give unto others” is the story of the season and the story of Brandeis. Please consider giving to a child in the Waltham Prospect Hill community by bringing a donation of art supplies—construction paper, crayons, tissue paper, etc.—suitable for kids in grades 1-6. Donations will be collected by the Department of Community Service.

I hope you will join me on this occasion and/or consider a donation for children in the Waltham Prospect Hill community.

Best wishes,

Lisa Lynch

Lisa M. Lynch
Provost and Maurice B. Hexter Professor of Social and Economic Policy
Brandeis University
781-736-2101