Phase 1b: Arts

June 22, 2020

Dear Colleagues,

This week, the COVID-19 Task Force conducted a review of the first three weeks of Phase 1a: Scaling Up in the Sciences. We undertook a careful evaluation of how our first foray in bringing back additional researchers to campus went, how well safety procedures were implemented, and where improvements were needed. We are now prepared to enter into the next phase of scaling up: Phase 1b.

I know that the rapid pivot off campus this spring was difficult and disruptive; your patience and perseverance to continue your work remotely has been impressive and most appreciated. It has been a high priority of my office to re-open the studios as soon as it was safe to do so. Following state guidance, the Research, Labs, and Studios Advisory Group of the COVID-19 Task Force has developed guidelines for Arts faculty and staff to return to the studios beginning on Monday, June 22 only for work that cannot be conducted remotely.

I ask that you carefully read the Brandeis University Scaling Up Guide and the Phase 1b Scaling Up in the Arts Guidelines, which are both available on the Scaling Up in the Arts website. In order to return to campus, individuals will need to take the COVID-19 Safety Training through EH&S to learn how to both stay safe and keep our campus safe when you visit. This training will be held tomorrow, Tuesday, June 23 at 2 p.m. Please check the website for Zoom login details. We ask that each faculty member develop a protocol detailing their anticipated activities and the space that they will be using, and that they use the calendar tool on the website to schedule the times that they will be on campus to ensure that we maintain low density in the buildings. Finally, each day that an individual comes to campus, they must complete the health-assessment tool prior to coming to campus, and log in and log out upon arrival and departure using the form on the website (for contact tracing should an outbreak occur).

The Facilities staff have posted signage in the Arts buildings to remind everyone of our primary safety policies: Wear a mask at all times while on campus inside and outside, engage in frequent handwashing, and stay at least 6 feet apart from one another. You will also find cleaning supplies have been provided for you to ensure that your spaces are cleaned before and after use.

We have developed a specific email for all questions or concerns relating to the scaling up efforts in the Arts: c19arts-group@brandeis.edu.

We will again be conducting a review of Phase 1b after 3 weeks’ time. We value your feedback as we enter this new phase, so please do not hesitate to share with me directly or with the COVID-19 Arts group, who can help to resolve many concerns.

Best regards,

Lisa

Lisa M. Lynch
Provost and Maurice B. Hexter Professor of Social and Economic Policy
Brandeis University