Language Requirement

The following lists show programs where the language requirement must be met before going abroad:






Study Abroad Ambassadors

Want to learn more about studying a foreign language abroad? Contact a Study Abroad Ambassador for more information.

Foreign Language Requirement

Statement of Philosophy

Because language and culture are intrinsically linked, your experience abroad will be greatly enhanced if you have proficiency with the language of the country where you will be studying. The Brandeis University Foreign Language Requirement (see below) for study abroad is designed to help deepen your knowledge of the country and culture in which you will be studying.  The requirement as stated below encourages you to pursue language study prior to study abroad when the language is part of the Brandeis University curriculum. Where Brandeis University does not offer language study, you are given the opportunity to begin such studies abroad.

Please note that many programs on our Approved Program List require at least one year of college-level language study and many require a minimum of two years of college-level language proficiency or the equivalent. Even though Arabic, Chinese, Japanese and Russian are not included in the Brandeis University requirements below, please note that previous and ongoing study in these languages is strongly encouraged.

Foreign Language Requirement:

All students must demonstrate a basic knowledge of French, German, Hebrew, Italian, or Spanish as evidenced by having successfully completed levels 10 & 20 or the equivalent proficiency before going abroad to countries where that language is spoken. 

All Non-English Speaking Countries: Students must take a course for credit in the language of the country during EACH semester they are abroad. This may be a course in learning the language of the country or one conducted in the language of the country. Where applicable, failure to study formally in a foreign language will result in the loss of all credit for the year/semester.

Classes in English: Students seeking general university credit only may be eligible to take some classes taught in English where available in France, Germany, and Spain.

Foreign Language Majors: Students are expected to do all course work abroad in the language of the host country. Please consult your departmental advisor for specific requirements about receiving major or minor credit.