Office of the Provost

Dean Wendy Cadge to become president of Bryn Mawr College

April 4, 2024

Dear Faculty, Staff, and Students,

Wendy Cadge, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and the Barbara Mandel Professor of Humanistic Social Sciences, has been selected as the next president of Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania. Please join me in congratulating her on this significant achievement.

Wendy’s work as a researcher, teacher, mentor, and administrator has left an indelible mark on Brandeis. Since she arrived here as an assistant professor in 2006, she has held a range of academic leadership positions, including chair of the women’s, gender and sexuality program (now department), head of the Division of Social Sciences, and senior associate dean for strategic initiatives in the School of Arts and Sciences. She won the Michael Walzer '56 Award for Teaching Excellence and Dean of Arts and Sciences Mentoring Award for Outstanding Teaching of Students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Among her significant scholarly achievements at Brandeis, Wendy founded the Chaplaincy Innovation Lab, which studies the way chaplains deliver spiritual care, and provides information and support to chaplains worldwide.

I am grateful to Charles Golden, head of the Division of Social Sciences and professor of anthropology, for serving as interim dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences while Wendy has been on sabbatical for the last several months. I will keep the community updated on the permanent leadership of GSAS.

Wendy will become president of Bryn Mawr on July 1; I know that many members of our community will want to thank and congratulate her before then, and to wish her the best in her new role.  

Sincerely,

Carol A. Fierke, Ph.D. '84
Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs