Funding for Research and Travel
Theodore and Jane Norman Awards for Faculty Scholarship Competitive awards of up to $3,500 per year to support faculty research, creative projects or course development, including book and article manuscript workshops.
- Salary Support for Faculty Awarded Prestigious External Fellowships or Grants With the support of the Theodore and Jane Norman Salary Replacement Award, faculty who receive major, prestigious external grants or fellowships (e.g., Guggenheim, Fulbright, ACLS, NEH, Radcliffe Institute, AAAS fellows and grants from “in-residence” centers such as the National Humanities Center) may request salary replacement, up to a maximum of $15,000 per semester, to maintain the level of that salary for up to one year (two semesters). Recipients may also request continuation of health insurance and other benefits while on leave, although certain benefits may not be available or may be reduced because of legal limitations in the benefits plan.
Theodore and Jane Norman Junior Faculty Research Leaves Norman leaves are typically one semester fully funded leaves taken in a junior faculty member’s fourth or fifth year and normally may not be followed or preceded by a full year of research leave. Faculty who receive external fellowships for the same period may apply to have the Norman and fellowship combined for two semesters of leave at full pay
Provost Research Awards These awards support early stage innovative scholarly inquiry and creative activities that have the potential for significant, sustained impact. Awards are administered through the Office of the Vice Provost for Research. Requests for proposals are announced each spring for the upcoming fiscal year, and recipients share their projects at the "Celebration of Scholarly Inquiry" event. The maximum award per applicant is $50,000.
Tomberg Research Fund Each tenure-track assistant professor who does not have Brandeis laboratory startup/research funds will have access to $4,000 in research and travel funds for the fiscal year. Research funds will be available for each year of the appointment as an assistant professor. Faculty who are on leave are eligible.
Senior Faculty Research Semester These competitive awards provide tenured faculty in the divisions of Creative Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences in the School of Arts and Sciences with a nonteaching semester and research funds to allow them to focus on a scholarly or creative focus.
- Conference Travel Funding for Tenured Faculty and Faculty on Renewable Contracts of at Least Half-Time Status Annual limit per faculty member is $2,500 for travel in the U.S. and Canada or up to $3,000 if travel includes destinations outside the U.S. and Canada.
- Professional Development Travel for University Writing Program and Language Instructors Language and University Writing Program instructors may receive up to $2,500 in travel funds once per academic year to attend a conference, workshop, training session or other professional activity at which they do not present a paper.
- Fast Facts
- Leadership and Staff
- Diversity and Inclusion
- New Initiatives
- News and Events
- Undergraduate Research and Creative Collaborations
- Undergraduate Admissions
- Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- Faculty and Administrator Login